Wenatchee Valley Venom Strengthen Defense, Receiver Corps
The Wenatchee Valley Venom Professional Indoor Football Team has signed ten players to Indoor Football League (IFL) contracts as the team prepares for the 2011 IFL season starting in February.
Two of the signees, wide receiver/defensive back Ian Bell and defensive lineman Corey Clark, played for the Venom in the franchise's first season. Bell (5'10", 195 lbs) from Washington State University, played ten games for the Venom last season and adds versatility and depth on both sides of the football. The 6'3", 320 pound Clark was an All-SWAC 1st Team selection and Defensive MVP at Jackson State University, and after
joining the team at mid-season in 2010, was a major contributor to the Venom's season ending six-game winning streak.
The Venom strengthened themselves even more in the defensive secondary with the signing of defensive backs Antonio Dishman (5'11", 175 lbs from Union College), Austin Smith (5'9", 175 lbs from Boise State University), Marcel Stamps (6'2", 209 lbs from University of Alabama), Ryan Kelley (5'10", 185 lbs from Eastern Washington University), Rakiem Rowland (6'2, 195 lbs from Mayville State University), and Joshua Anderson (5'8", 195 lbs from Norfolk State University). Dishman, who played 5 games with the Fairbanks Grizzlies last season, and Smith, who started 14 games for the West Texas Roughnecks in 2010, bring valuable IFL experience to the Venom roster.
Additional signees include wide receiver Robert Paulele (5'8", 211 lbs) from UNLV and reserve quarterback Jacob Hignite (6', 170 lbs), who spent last season with in-state IFL rival, the Kent Predators.
The Wenatchee Valley Venom begin their 2011 IFL season on February 27 against the Fairbanks Grizzlies in Fairbanks, Alaska. The Venom's first home game at Town Toyota Center in Wenatchee, Washington is March 5 against the Tri-Cities Fever. Season and group tickets are on sale at the Venom Office, 2 S. Chelan Avenue in Wenatchee or call 509-88-VENOM (509-888-3666) for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Indoor Football League message board...
Indoor Football League Stories from November 17, 2010
- Wenatchee Valley Venom Strengthen Defense, Receiver Corps - Wenatchee Valley Venom
- Fairbanks R-Sign Defensive Tandem - Fairbanks Grizzlies
- Colorado Ice Add Harding University Defensive Back - Colorado Crush
- Roughnecks Sign WR Gabe Osaze-Ediae & DL Keenan Kitchen for 2011 Season - West Texas Roughnecks
- Steelhawks to Participate in 2nd Annual Charity Basketball Tournament - Lehigh Valley Steelhawks
- Kent Predators to Introduce New Head Coach, General Manager and Defensive Player of the Year - Seattle Timberwolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wenatchee Valley Venom Stories
- Former Washington State QB Rogers Not Giving Up Dream
- Wenatchee Valley Venom Strengthen Defense, Receiver Corps
- Venom signs former Idaho Vandals star Woolridge
- Wenatchee Valley Venom Releases 2011 Indoor Football League Schedule
- Goodman, Soward Among 9 Players Signed By Wenatchee Valley Venom