Wave Get Ambushed Sunday Afternoon in St. Louis.
The 7-time Champion Milwaukee Wave lost a hard fought battle Sunday afternoon to the St. Louis Ambush at The Family Arena.
Final score: MKE Wave 6, St. Louis Ambush 7.
"What's disappointing is that we are a team that has enough experience with 5-2 lead to close out a game like that," said Head Coach Giuliano Oliveiro. "We knew if we could keep it close down the stretch we'd have a good chance but some of our guys got complacent and comfortable."
The game began with the Ambush scoring the first two goals of the game and later was matched by the Wave's Gordy Gurson and Ian Bennett going into halftime.
Milwaukee kept that momentum going into the second half with the addition of three different goals from Ian Bennett, Alex Bradley and Luan Oliveira.
But the Ambush kept fighting back, returning the favor with 5 unanswered goals of their own to take the lead before Milwaukee Wave rookie Tyler Turner scored his first professional goal of his Wave career but it wasn't enough.
"This game is all about momentum," said Milwaukee Wave Midfielder Gordy Gurson. "We didn't let it ride as long as we wanted to and they took advantage of it in front of their home crowd."
The Wave travel back to Milwaukee for a couple of days of practice before the holiday and prepare for back to back battles with the Kansas City Comets. First, on their blue turf Wednesday, December 29th at Cable Dahmer Arena in Independence, Missouri and then in Milwaukee on the black turf New Years Eve for the Wave's first home game of the season.
Tickets are available at MilwaukeeWave.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from December 19, 2021
- Wave Get Ambushed Sunday Afternoon in St. Louis. - Milwaukee Wave
- St. Louis Ambush Come from Behind to Beat Milwaukee - St. Louis Ambush
- Reget, Eligwe Each Net Two as Tropics Turn the Tables in 7-6 Win over Ontario Fury - Florida Tropics SC
- Heat Lose Home Opener 9-4 to Utica City FC - Harrisburg Heat
- Ontario Fury Win Home Opener vs Chihuahua - Ontario Fury
- Fury Win First Road Game vs Florida - Ontario Fury
- Stars Rout Sidekicks 8-3 Saturday Night - Tacoma Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Milwaukee Wave Stories
- Wave Eliminated from MASL Post Season Sunday Night in San Diego
- Wave Get Socked by San Diego in Game 1 of MASL Playoffs Thursday
- Wave Take on Sockers in Opening Round of MASL Playoffs Thursday in Milwaukee
- Wave Finish out Regular Season with Big Win against Dallas Saturday Night
- Wave's Final Regular Season Home Game Has Playoff Implications