Wave Advance to Round Two of MASL Playoffs after Tough Victory against Cedar Rapids
After an exciting win in overtime last night, your Six- Time Champion Milwaukee Wave came out on top of the first round in the 2017-2018 MASL Playoffs after battling against the Cedar Rapids Rampage two nights in a row. Sunday afternoon the Milwaukee Wave secured their place in the MASL Eastern Conference Championship Game after they beat the Rampage.
Final score: Milwaukee Wave 8, Cedar Rapids Rampage 7.
"I think the noise and the support of the fans is what put us over the top today," said Head Coach Giuliano Oliviero. "But I think the fans made the difference between winning and losing today. We love them and they're the best in the MASL. We're just ecstatic to be moving on to the next round. We have players that just got inserted into the lineup pretty recently and being thrown into this intense playoff environment is tough. It's different that a regular season game. They're learning on the fly and I think they're just going to keep getting better."
After scoring the winning goal yesterday in overtime against the Rampage, Milwaukee Wave midfielder number 26 Ian Bennett scored three of the eight goals for his team. This hat trick puts Bennett at 5 goals for the post-season thus far.
"It's been a team effort this entire time," commented Bennett. "Sometimes it's not just about the goals; it's about all of the hard work and improving as a team. It's important to have the determination and put in the work to play for each other."
Goalkeeper and coach Rafael Dias made his playoff debut this weekend getting 29 saves for Sunday's match.
"It was a tough and long weekend with the back-to-back games," said Dias. "It was extra difficult for me because I wasn't on the lineup the entire season except for one game. But it's really about the team and the hard work they've done. We've lost a lot of players that have been on our lineup, but the thing with us is everyone is so talented and steps up. That's what has made us successful."
When asked about Dias after the game Coach Giuliano Olivero said, "If it wasn't for Rafa we wouldn't have the opportunity to play and win the conference championship. He's the best professional on the team. He wasn't in the lineup, but he continued to work hard each and everyday at his game. He stepped up and overachieved. We're beyond ecstatic for him."
The Milwaukee Wave advance to the Major Arena Soccer League Eastern Conference Championship game and will face the winner of Syracuse versus Baltimore. Dates have yet to be determined.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from March 11, 2018
- Syracuse Falls Just Short to Baltimore in Round One of Playoffs - Syracuse Silver Knights
- Blast Defeat Syracuse 5-4; Advance to Eastern Conference Championship - Baltimore Blast
- Wave Advance to Round Two of MASL Playoffs after Tough Victory against Cedar Rapids - Milwaukee Wave
- Rampage Season Ends with 8-7 Road Loss - Cedar Rapids Rampage
- San Diego Wins Mini-Game Easily 6-2 to Advance to Conference Final - San Diego Sockers
- San Diego Wins Game Two to Force Deciding 15-Minute Mini Game - San Diego Sockers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Milwaukee Wave Stories
- Wave Fall Short in MASL Eastern Conference Final against Baltimore Blast
- Major Arena Soccer League Recognizes Four Milwaukee Wave Players with Post Season Awards
- Wave Ready for Eastern Conference Showdown with Rival Baltimore Blast Friday Night
- Wave Advance to Round Two of MASL Playoffs after Tough Victory against Cedar Rapids
- Wave Takes Game One of MASL Central Division Championship Series in Overtime