Syracuse Falls Just Short to Baltimore in Round One of Playoffs
TOWSON, M.D. - The Syracuse Silver Knights battled hard for 60 minutes, but fell just short to the Baltimore Blast 5-4 in Game Two of the MASL Eastern Divisional Finals. The loss eliminates the Silver Knights from the playoffs.
"These guys gave it everything they had this year and they have nothing to hang their heads about," said Silver Knights Head Coach Ryan Hall.
Patrick Thompson got the scoring started with a goal less than a minute into the action. The Blast responded with offensive firepower throughout the first half. Baltimore out-shot Syracuse 25-15 through the first 30 minutes of the game. The pressure resulted in two Baltimore goals from Vini Dantas and Jamie Thomas.
The third quarter started with two goals by Baltimore against the run of play. Syracuse improved offensively, out-shooting the Blast 11-3 in the frame. However, Baltimore got two more goals from Tony Donatelli and Vini Dantas to take a 4-1 lead. Logan Roberts cut the lead down to 4-2 with a shot that Joey Kapinos couldn't quite handle.
The fourth quarter was back and forth throughout. Bo Jelovac scored just over a minute into the frame to cut the Blast lead to 4-3. Both defenses held strong throughout the quarter until Daniel Peruzzi put Baltimore back up by two goals. Kenardo Forbes got one more goal as the sixth attacker, but Syracuse's comeback bid fell just short as Baltimore held on for the 5-4 win.
Both defenses were put to the task from the opening whistle. Andrew Coughlin had to work hard in goal, making 12 saves. Jake Schindler led Syracuse with five blocked shots.
Baltimore needed 13 saves from Kapinos and seven blocked shots from Pat Healey to keep the Syracuse offense at bay.
"They did a great job tucking in and getting tight on our players," said Hall.
It was also a tale of two halves in terms of the offensive pressure. Syracuse out-shot the Blast 17-9 in the second half, with the Blast holding a slim two-shot advantage over the Silver Knights.
With the loss, Syracuse's season comes to a close after finishing in second place in the MASL Eastern Division with a 13-9 record. The Silver Knights set a new record for most wins in a single season. Joey Tavernese also had an historic season for Syracuse - setting Silver Knights single-season records in points (54) and assists (26). Slavisa Ubiparipovic and Forbes became the first Silver Knights to reach 200 career regular season points in a Syracuse uniform.
Syracuse starts its eighth season of indoor soccer in December 2018. The Silver Knights look to qualify for their fifth postseason appearance and make a run for the organization's first indoor soccer championship.
"There are some really talented and hungry young guys that really stepped up big this year," said Hall. "I'm excited to see their development now that they have a full season under their belt."
To purchase season tickets for the 2018-19 MASL season and for more information on the Silver Knights, call 315-303-7261 or log on to syracusesilverknights.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from March 11, 2018
- Syracuse Falls Just Short to Baltimore in Round One of Playoffs - Syracuse Silver Knights
- Blast Defeat Syracuse 5-4; Advance to Eastern Conference Championship - Baltimore Blast
- Wave Advance to Round Two of MASL Playoffs after Tough Victory against Cedar Rapids - Milwaukee Wave
- Rampage Season Ends with 8-7 Road Loss - Cedar Rapids Rampage
- San Diego Wins Mini-Game Easily 6-2 to Advance to Conference Final - San Diego Sockers
- San Diego Wins Game Two to Force Deciding 15-Minute Mini Game - San Diego Sockers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Silver Knights Stories
- Four Silver Knights Selected to All-MASL Teams
- Season Ticket Deal Extended
- Syracuse Falls Just Short to Baltimore in Round One of Playoffs
- Comeback Falls Short as Blast Prevails over Silver Knights
- Syracuse Faces Baltimore in First Round of Ron Newman Cup Playoffs