Washington Spirit Sign Japanese International Saori Takarada
Boyds, MD. - The Washington Spirit have signed Japanese international Saori Takarada (SA-O-RREE - TA-KA-LA-DA) to a two-year deal from Nadeshiko League Club Cerezo Osaka Sakai Ladies ahead of the 2021 National Women's Soccer League season.
"Bringing another young international player of Saori's quality to the Spirit for our 2021 season was a huge priority for our club and being able to get this deal done at this time of year has been absolutely brilliant," said Spirit Head Coach Richie Burke. "We can move ahead with our other plans, safe in the knowledge that we've added a tremendously talented player to our squad for the upcoming season. I believe Saori will certainly improve us in the final 3rd, and she undoubtedly brings an added component that will provide plenty of options in that area of the field."
The 21-year-old was born in Tateyama, Toyama, Japan. She joined Cerezo Osaka Sakai Ladies in 2013 and has played there ever since. Takarada recorded 44 goals in 110 appearances for the Osaka based club.
Takarada is also a member of the Japan National Team and has represented her country at the U-17, U-20 and full team levels. Most recently, Takarada joined the national team at the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup in France. She made her debut for Nadeshiko Japan on June 10, 2019 vs. Argentina. At the U-20 level, Takarada was selected as the Silver Ball and Bronze Boot winner of the 2018 World Cup. Her five goals in six appearances, including a goal in the final vs. Spain, helped lead Japan to the title that year.
Spirit CEO and Director of Sporting Operations Larry Best had this to say on the signing: "The Spirit family welcomes the Saori and we look forward to seeing her skill sets on display. Her technical skill sets combined with her tactical awareness should make for some exciting play from the young Japanese International."
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from December 1, 2020
- Washington Spirit Sign Japanese International Saori Takarada - Washington Spirit
- Coming Home: Syracuse Grad and NJ Native Olnowich Signs with Riveters - NWSL
- Racing Louisville FC to Pick First in 2021 NWSL Draft - Racing Louisville FC
- NWSL Opens Player Registration and Announces Current Selection Order for the Renamed 2021 NWSL Draft - NWSL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Washington Spirit Stories
- Washington Spirit to Host MLK Week of Service
- Washington Spirit Select Mariana Speckmaier 39th Overall in the 2021 NWSL Draft
- Washington Spirit Select Sydney Schneider 29th Overall in the 2021 NWSL Draft
- Washington Spirit Select Anna Heilferty 19th Overall in the 2021 NWSL Draft
- Washington Spirit Select Tara McKeown Eighth Overall in the 2021 NWSL Draft