Racing Louisville FC to Pick First in 2021 NWSL Draft
The National Women's Soccer League on Tuesday announced the opening of player registration for the 2021 NWSL Draft, which will stream live exclusively on the NWSL's Twitch channel at 7 p.m. ET Wednesday, Jan. 13.
The league has also released the current draft order which sees expansion club Racing Louisville FC select first in each of the four rounds. A full draft order is available here .
In order to be eligible for the 2021 NWSL Draft, a player must: * Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, or a foreign national who is currently enrolled at a university in the United States or was enrolled at a university in the United States during the fall 2020 semester (or quarter), and;
* Be a player who has exhausted, lost or renounced their remaining NCAA eligibility, including high school graduates choosing to forego college, and;
* Be at least 18 years old by the conclusion of the 2021 NWSL season (Nov. 21, 2021), and;
* Not be under a current professional contract nor have previously signed a contract to play professionally; and;
* Register for the 2021 NWSL Draft by 8 p.m. ET on Jan. 11.
Interested players can access the online registration.
Players who register for the draft but are not selected will become Discovery Eligible the day following the 2021 NWSL Draft.
Due to the NCAA spring season in 2021, the NWSL has requested a waiver that will allow student-athletes who register for the NWSL Draft to decide by Jan. 22 if they will report to their NWSL club before or after the spring collegiate season.
If the waiver is denied, players will have the option to either participate in the 2021 NWSL Draft and forfeit their remaining collegiate eligibility if selected or withdraw from the draft registration and play the spring collegiate season. But they will be ineligible to participate in the NWSL during the 2021 season.
Additional NWSL Draft details will be announced in the coming weeks.
Along with its four core selections, Racing Louisville FC will pick at No. 5 in the first round as part of a trade last fall with the Chicago Red Stars.
Racing, coached by Christy Holly, is the 10th club to enter the NWSL. It will play at Lynn Family Stadium - shared with the USL Championship's Louisville City FC - with competition beginning mid-April in 2021 with the NWSL Challenge Cup, which will take place in multiple bubble environments, team markets, or some combination of the two before the full 24-game regular season starts in mid-May.
Racing Louisville FC is nearing 3,000 season ticket members for its inaugural campaign. Visit RacingLouFC.com/tickets or call (502) 568-2489 during regular business hours to secure your tickets today.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from December 1, 2020
- Washington Spirit Sign Japanese International Saori Takarada - Washington Spirit
- Coming Home: Syracuse Grad and NJ Native Olnowich Signs with Riveters - NWSL
- Racing Louisville FC to Pick First in 2021 NWSL Draft - Racing Louisville FC
- NWSL Opens Player Registration and Announces Current Selection Order for the Renamed 2021 NWSL Draft - NWSL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.