Washington Pitches ThunderBolts to Victory
CRESTWOOD, IL - Chris Washington threw 8.1 innings in his final start of the season and led the ThunderBolts to a 4-2 win over the Schaumburg Boomers at Ozinga Field Wednesday night.
Washington got off to a rocky start as three of the first seven Boomer hitters reached base. He pitched out of a second-inning jam, though, and retired seven in a row and 18 of the next 19.
The ThunderBolts (40-53) took the lead for good in the bottom of the second inning as Micah Coffey drew a walk, moved to second on a passed ball and scored on a Taisei Fukuhara RBI single.
Coffey was involved again when they got their next run in the fourth inning. He and Tyler Straub hit back-to-back doubles to make the score 2-0.
Tanner Gardner's fourth home run of the year, a solo shot in the fifth, made it a three-run ThunderBolt lead and they took their biggest advantage of the game with a seventh inning run. Brynn Martinez singled, stole second, moved to third on a groundout and scored on a balk.
Washington tied his career high with 11 strikeouts and dominated through the eighth but he walked Connor Oliver to leadoff the ninth inning. With one out, Matt Rose hit a two-run homer to leftfield, chasing Washington from the game two outs shy of his second shutout of the year.
Colby Blueberg got the final two outs for his eighth save.
Washington improved to 4-8 with the win and Matt Miller (3-6) allowed three runs (two earned) in five innings and took the loss.
The series closes with a rubber match on Thursday night. It is a Bud Light Thirsty Thursday at Ozinga Field as well as a White Castle Wrestling Thursday, featuring a postgame show from Zelo Pro Wrestling. On the field, Hayden Shenefield (1-3, 6.81) makes the start for the Bolts against Schaumburg's Gunnar Kines (6-6, 2.34). First pitch is set for 7:05.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Sittinger, Calabrese Help Propel Otters to Win - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Wallop Wild Things - River City Rascals
- Lake Erie's Offense Nowhere to be Found - Lake Erie Crushers
- Grizzlies Fall 3-1 in Evansville - Gateway Grizzlies
- Roa Drives in Three in Loss to Rascals - Washington Wild Things
- Windy City Pitches Past Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- Washington Pitches ThunderBolts to Victory - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Bernstein, Davis Shine as Miners Shut out Crushers - Southern Illinois Miners
- Welch's Strong Start Leads Otters to Victory - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.