Walk-Off Sinks Wichita
The Wichita Wingnuts were on the wrong end of a walk-off for the second consecutive day Monday, as they fell 9-8 to the Kansas City T-Bones at CommunityAmerica Ballpark. Wichita took their first lead of the game in the second, when Brennen Salgado hit a two-run homer to put the visitors ahead 2-1.
After Kansas City evened the score in the home half, RBI singles by Salgado and Martin Medina broke the 2-2 tie in the fourth. With the score 4-3 Wingnuts in the sixth, Leo Vargas hit his first home run of the year, a three-run shot, to stretch the lead to four. Wichita added one more homer in the eighth, as Richard Prigatano hit a solo shot to make it 8-3.
The T-Bones comeback begun in the home half. Five straight reached with one out in the frame, with a two-run single by Omar Garcia and RBI single by Marcus Lemon bringing Kansas City within a pair. In the ninth, an RBI double by Chantz Mack put the tying and winning runs in scoring position. After an intentional walk to load the bases, Wichita got a force out at the plate before back-to-back walks give Kansas City the walk-off victory.
COOP RETURNS TO KC
After being traded from the T-Bones to the Wingnuts in the off-season, righty Jordan Cooper makes his return to CommunityAmerica Ballpark tonight to face his old club. The former Wichita State Shocker has been dominant over his first three starts for Wichita, having gone his first 20.0 innings this season without allowing a run. One reason for Cooper's success so far this season has been a rise in his strikeout rate. Prior to joining the Wingnuts, the right-hander had a career strikeout rate of 5.8 per nine innings. So far this season, Cooper has struck out 18 batters in 20.0 innings, a rate of 8.1 per nine frames.
The Topeka, Kans., native has a chance to make Wingnuts history tonight, as he puts his 20.0 straight scoreless innings streak on the line against Kansas City. The longest scoreless run for a pitcher in Wingnuts history belongs to another former T-Bone, righty Nick Singleton. Singleton made 30 starts and 35 total appearances for the Wingnuts in 2010 and 2011, and put together a streak of 26.2 scoreless innings over four starts for Wichita from May 29 to June 14, 2011.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 6, 2017
- Del Valle's Walk-Off Single Gives Gary 4-3 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Goose Eggs All-Around, Saints Shutout AirHogs Again, Win Game 2 of Doubleheader 4-0 - St. Paul Saints
- Explorers Open Series vs Goldeyes with Victory - Sioux City Explorers
- Zimmerman Hurls Complete Game Three-Hit Shutout, Saints Win 5-0 in Game 1 of Doubleheader - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Activate Misell from Inactive List - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- T-Bones Add Mack and Release Rockett - Kansas City T-Bones
- Canaries Host Family Fun Day on Friday Night - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Walk-Off Sinks Wichita - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.