Vipers trim camp roster to 30
HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - Tennessee Valley Vipers coach Milt Theodosatos has trimmed his training camp roster to 30 players.
Released from camp Friday were Midland Luthern running back/linebacker Michael Jones, Georgia Southern wide receiver/defensive back Demetrik Cousin, Michigan wide receiver/defensive back Chris Matsos, ex-Alabama A&M linebacker Travoris Nunn and former North Alabama lineman Kem Oti.
In addition, Western Oregon lineman Matt Jirges has been placed on injured reserve.
"The first week of practice went along as about expected,'' Theodosatos said. "We had a couple of nicks here and there and we had a chance to evaluate - which was difficult and we expected that. We reduced from 35 players to 30 which was tough to do, but we had to do it and hopefully didn't make any errors. Now we have to move from 30 to 22 by next Saturday."
Vipers assistant coach John Noel said that he has seen the team take tremendous strides as it approaches its March 30 home opener against the Alabama Steeldogs at the Von Braun Center.
"The intensity level has picked up every day, the players are knocking the rust off and understanding their assignments,'' Noel said. "Our receivers are catching the ball and our offensive line is road-grading people and our defensive line is really getting to the quarterback and showing a good burst to the ball."
Rookie Lewis Howes, a 6-foot-4, 225-pound record-setting receiver out of Division III Capital University, said the Vipers were making the best out of two-a-days.
"For me as a receiver it's been going well, but everybody is pretty sore due to two-a-days,'' he said. "The coaches are basically teaching us a new game because most of us have never played indoors. As receivers, we're just trying to get our angles and routes down, work on our timing with the quarterbacks and get the hang and speed of the game."
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from March 16, 2007
- Fusion Hosts Thunder in Exhibition Game - Fort Wayne Fusion
- Shock add Jackson and Morris - Spokane Shock
- Vipers trim camp roster to 30 - Alabama Vipers
- Shock Single Game Tickets on sale Monday - Spokane Shock
- Renegades Training Camp Begins Sunday - Lubbock Renegades
- Copperheads Unveil Snake Attack Truck At St. Patrick's Parade - Texas Copperheads
- Copperheads Ready To Strike - Texas Copperheads
- Fan Fest '07 Will Feature Wolves' Second-Ever Two Team af2 Jamboree - Manchester Wolves