Victoria (8) Kelowna (3)
The Victoria Royals defeated the Kelowna Rockets 8-3 on Wednesday night at Prospera Place in Kelowna.
The Rockets got on the board first as Dillon Dube notched his first of the season from Erik Gardiner and Carsen Twarynski 1:42 into the opening frame. Kole Lind kept things going with his fourth of the season with assists going to Kaedan Korczak and Kyle Topping. Kelowna took a 2-0 lead into the first intermission.
Victoria replied early in the second frame as Regan Nagy got them on the score sheet. Royals forward Ryan Peckford evened things up with a power play marker at 7:03. Yan Khomenko and Dante Hannoun both scored for the Royals before Nagy scored his second of the night. Jared Legien scored a late power play goal and Victoria took a 6-2 lead into the final stanza.
Nagy completed the hat-trick for Victoria early in the third. Conner Bruggen-Cate scored his first of the season to cut the Royals lead to 7-3, but Khomenko rounded out the scoring for Victoria as they top the Rockets 8-3.
Brodan Salmond stopped 10 of 15 shots faced, and James Porter stopped 8 of 11 as the Rockets out-shot the Royals 29-26.
The Rockets record drops to 2-1-0-1 on the season thus far.
Kelowna is back in action on Friday night, October 6th, when they head north to visit another B.C. Division rival, the Prince George Cougars. The Rockets take on the Cougars in back-to-back nights this weekend with both games going at the CN Centre in Prince George. Puck drop for both Friday and Saturday is at 7:00pm.
The Rockets are back home on Friday, October 13th, when the Calgary Hitmen come to Prospera Place. Puck drop is 7:05pm.
Tickets are available for Rockets home games through selectyourtickets.com, at the Prospera Place box office or by phone at 250-762-5050.
Images from this story
Victoria (8) Kelowna (3)
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 5, 2017
- Media Release - Swan Re-Assigned, Canes Add New Back-Up - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- WHL Board of Governors Adopts 68-Game Schedule for 2018-19 Regular - Kelowna Rockets
- Five Silvertips Earn Spots on NHL Opening Night Rosters - Everett Silvertips
- Swan Re-Assigned, Canes Add New Back-Up - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Rockets Head North for a Double Header with the Cats - Kelowna Rockets
- Victoria (8) Kelowna (3) - Kelowna Rockets
- Americans Defeat T-Birds in Shootout - Seattle Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.