United Soccer Club Holds Fall Fest End-Of-Season Tournaments
Washington, D.C. (November 14, 2011) - D.C. United and its non-profit arm, United for D.C., will be holding two days of tournaments to mark the end of the fall season of United Soccer Club. The tournaments will involve all children, ages 6-12, who participated in United Soccer Club this fall. The events will be held on Wednesday, November 16 and Friday, November 18 from 4:30-7:00 p.m. on the RFK Stadium Training Field and will feature matches, player autographs, D.C. United mascot Talon, carnival games, music and much more.
This unique tournament brings together youth from across the District and Maryland to RFK, exemplifying D.C. United's commitment to the community. All participants will have recently completed a 10-week soccer training regimen as part of United Soccer Club, and will have the opportunity to showcase their skills in front of several D.C. United players. Family and friends are welcome to attend, and food and drinks will be provided for the student athletes as part of the program's focus on healthy lifestyles.
United Soccer Club enrolled close to 700 children in the program this fall, teaching the participants the importance of a healthy lifestyle through physical activity and proper nutrition, as well as life skills that are beneficial on and off the field. The program operates at 12 sites and two middle school teams. All teams met three times each week after school for 90-minute sessions, and players were taught by D.C. United staff, current and former United players, and talented local coaches. The 2011 season also saw the addition of friendly matches throughout the season, which were a highlight for parents and furthered the participants' sense of team, commitment and healthy competition. The middle school sites - Harrison Parks and Recreation and Friendship Academy Tech Prep - participated in the DC Scores' League.
Elementary sites include Sites include Fort Davis Parks and Recreation Center in Ward 7, the Fishing School at J.O. Wilson Elementary School in Ward 6, Barry Farm Recreation Center, Ketcham Elementary School, Boys & Girls Club at Orr Elementary and the FBR Branch at THEARC in Ward 8, Turkey Thicket Recreation Center in Ward 5, Harrison Recreation Center and Parkview Recreation Center in Ward 1, Richard England Clubhouse #14 in Ward 7, and Long Branch Community Center in Silver Spring, Md.
United Soccer Club was born from a request in Ward 8 for opportunities for children to play organized soccer. In the spring of 2006, United for D.C. launched its own after school soccer program, in partnership with D.C. Parks and Recreation at Barry Farm Recreation Center. The program has incorporated a formal healthy lifestyles curriculum in an effort to combat the region's high rate of obesity amongst children.
United Soccer Club, sponsored by the U.S. Soccer Foundation, Volkswagen, The Department of Health and Gallup is one of the many community outreach ventures of United for D.C. Others include the Kicks for Kids program, through which thousands of underprivileged children will have an opportunity to watch United play next season, as well as United Reads, currently presented in six DC elementary schools. This program distributes nearly 8,000 books during player visits throughout the year.
For more information on these programs or how fans can contribute time or money to these worthy causes, please contact United for D.C. at 202-587-5000.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 14, 2011
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo and Greenstar Recycling Celebrate America Recycles Day - Houston Dynamo
- United Soccer Club Holds Fall Fest End-Of-Season Tournaments - D.C. United
- LA Galaxy Head Coach Bruce Arena Named 2011 MLS Coach of the Year - MLS
- Philadelphia Union 2012 Full Season Ticket Plans Now on Sale - Philadelphia Union
- Crew Signs Eddie Gaven to Multi-Year Extension - Columbus Crew SC
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Red Bulls Weekly Update: Henry Named to MLS Best XI - New York Red Bulls
- Hartman, Shea and Hernandez Earn 2011 FC Dallas Team Awards - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- Date Changed for United's Away Game against LAFC in May
- D.C. United and Fanatics Announce Multichannel Retail Partnership for Audi Field
- Date Changed for United's Away Game against Toronto FC in April
- United Announce Founding Partnership with Heineken
- United Acquire 2017 USL MVP Dane Kelly