Two-Time USL Championship MVP Finalist Returns
Charlotte (NC) - On Thursday, the Charlotte Independence professional soccer team announced two-time USL Championship MVP Finalist Enzo Martinez has signed for the 2019 season, pending league and federation approval.
"This is my home," said Martinez. "I'm happy to be back and be able to wear that jersey again this year. I'm bringing the same mentality as I did when I first came here. I want to do everything I can for this club. I want to win, I want people to enjoy our games, people to cheer for us and leave knowing that their players are representing them well."
Martinez, 28, spent last season with the Colorado Rapids of MLS appearing in CONCACAF Champions League and 22 regular-season matches. His second stint in MLS came on the back of consecutive USL Best XI selections and a 2017 USL Golden Boot runner up campaign in which he scored 16 goals in 32 games. Martinez helped power the Independence to the franchise's first two playoff seasons and returns as the club's second all-time leading goal scorer.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from December 20, 2018
- Roughnecks FC Sign Christian Altamirano - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Louisville City FC Closes Financing on Butchertown Stadium Development - Louisville City FC
- Roughnecks FC 2019 Schedule Released - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Republic FC Team Members Visiting Butte County to Deliver Donations to Camp Fire Victims - Sacramento Republic FC
- Two-Time USL Championship MVP Finalist Returns - Charlotte Independence
- Rising FC Signs Attacking Threat Joey Calistri - Phoenix Rising FC
- Atlanta United 2 Signs Jackson Conway - Atlanta United 2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.