Two-Time NBA D-League All-Star Jerel McNeal Returns to Bakersfield
BAKERSFIELD, CALIF., January 13, 2015 - The Bakersfield Jam have acquired guard Jerel McNeal as a returning player, the team announced today.
McNeal (6-3, 200, Marquette) suited up for the Jam the last two seasons, where in 62 regular season games (54 starts), he averaged 17.9 points, 5.7 assists, 3.1 rebounds and 1.6 steals in 30.6 minutes per contest. Named to the 2013 NBA D-League All-Star Team and 2013 All-NBA D-League First Team, McNeal earned a GATORADE Call-Up to the Utah Jazz on March 27, 2013. Prior to his stint with Bakersfield, McNeal played one season for the Rio Grande Valley Vipers and was named a 2011 NBA D-League All-Star.
The 27-year old has participated in NBA training camps with the Toronto Raptors (2012), Houston Rockets (2010) and the Los Angeles Clippers (2009). McNeal has also played professionally in China, Italy, and Belgium.
The Chicago native played four seasons at Marquette University (2005-09), averaging 15.3 points, 4.7 rebounds and 3.5 assists during his tenure. McNeal finished his four-year career as Marquette's all-time leader in scoring (1,985), steals (287) and game played (130). In his senior season (2008-09), McNeal was named Associated Press Second Team All-American, First Team All-Big East, USBWA Distract 5 Player of the Year and Marquette University's Most Valuable Player after averaging 19.8 points, 4.5 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 2.0 steals.
The Jam will travel to Santa Cruz this week for the annual NBA D-League Showcase. Bakersfield's first game is on Thursday, January 15 at 10:00 a.m. PT. against the Texas Legends.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 13, 2015
- Bighorns Fall on the Road to Fort Wayne - Reno Bighorns
- Warriors Fall on the Road to Delaware - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Mad Ants Extend Streak to Six - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Two-Time NBA D-League All-Star Jerel McNeal Returns to Bakersfield - Bakersfield Jam
- Iowa Energy Acquire Tyrus Thomas - Iowa Wolves
- Grant Jerrett Assigned to NBA D-League's Oklahoma City Blue - G League
- Grant Jerrett Assigned to Oklahoma City Blue - Oklahoma City Blue
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.