Two T-Birds Selected in 2020 NHL Draft
KENT, October 7, 2020 - Two Seattle Thunderbirds were selected on the second day of the 2020 NHL Draft Wednesday afternoon.
Defenseman Tyrel Bauer was selected in the sixth round, 164th overall, by the Winnipeg Jets.
"We're very excited for Ty and his family," said T-Birds general manager Bil La Forge. "Ty's selection shows that the Jets saw his value both on and off the ice. The competitiveness and leadership he brings are going to be a huge value to the Jets."
Bauer had three goals and 14 assists for 17 points in 60 games last season. Bauer was ranked #166 in the final NHL Central Scouting rankings for the 2020 NHL Draft.
"Ty is a very dedicated, high character hockey player. He has worked extremely hard to put himself in this position," said T-Birds head coach Matt O'Dette. "To see him get rewarded for his efforts is great to see. The Jets made a great pick and are lucky to have him."
In his rookie season Bauer played 64 games and had two goals and 12 assists for 14 points with 91 penalty minutes. He scored his first WHL goal January 27, 2019, vs. Kamloops in a 5-2 win. Bauer was originally selected in the second round, 41st overall, in 2017 Bantam Draft.
Center Matthew Rempe was selected in the sixth round, 165th overall, by the New York Rangers.
"It is a pleasure to see a player like Matt get rewarded for his hard work and perseverance," said La Forge. "It is a testament to his character and our team's dedication to player development that sees him selected by the Rangers in the NHL draft."
Rempe had 12 goals and 19 assists for 31 points in 47 games in his rookie season last year. He missed the first 15 games of the season with an injury. Rempe scored his first career WHL goal on November 9 against the Everett Silvertips at accesso ShoWare Center in a 4-2 loss.
"Matt burst onto the scene this year and was an integral part of our team," said O'Dette. "The work he put in and improvement that followed was eye-popping. To see it culminate into being drafted by the Rangers is fantastic."
Rempe signed a WHL Standard Player Agreement with the T-Birds on August 18, 2018.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 7, 2020
- Sutter Disappointed for Sedoff, King After Both Passed over in NHL Draft - Red Deer Rebels
- 28 Western Hockey League Players Selected in 2020 NHL Draft - WHL
- Hitmen Defenceman Luke Prokop Selected by Nashville in 2020 NHL Draft - Calgary Hitmen
- Two T-Birds Selected in 2020 NHL Draft - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Cotton Selected in 2020 NHL Entry Draft - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Pair of Rockets Selected at 2020 NHL Draft - Kelowna Rockets
- Bear Hughes Selected 148th Overall by Washington - Spokane Chiefs
- Giants Forward Justin Sourdif Drafted 87th Overall by the Florida Panthers - Vancouver Giants
- Hunt Going Wild - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Cougars Announce Second Pro-D Day Hockey School - Prince George Cougars
- Jack Finley Selected 57th Overall by Tampa Bay - Spokane Chiefs
- Connor Zary Selected in the 1st Round, 24th Overall by the Calgary Flames in the 2020 NHL Draft - Kamloops Blazers
- Seven WHL Players Selected in First Round of 2020 NHL Draft - WHL
- Neighbours Drafted 26th Overall by St. Louis Blues - Edmonton Oil Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Thunderbirds Stories
- Two T-Birds Selected in 2020 NHL Draft
- T-Birds and KIRO 7 TV Partner for Weekly Hockey 101 Series Starting Friday
- T-Birds Sign Sawyer Mynio
- T-Birds Select Samuel Knazko in First Round of CHL Import Draft
- Jordan Gustafson and Kevin Korchinski Named to Team Canada U-17 Development Camp