Jack Finley Selected 57th Overall by Tampa Bay
Spokane Chiefs forward Jack Finley was selected by the Tampa Bay Lightning in the second round (57th overall) of the 2020 NHL Entry Draft on Wednesday.
A tall, imposing forward standing at 6-foot-5 and 205 pounds, Finley had the attention of scouts after breaking out with 57 points (19G-38A) in 61 games during the 2019-20 season, centering a line with WHL Player of the Year Adam Beckman. NHL Central Scouting had him ranked at 38th among North American skaters headed into the draft.
"We're thrilled to see Jack be selected by Tampa Bay," said Chiefs' general manager Scott Carter. "They have drafted an outstanding young man.
"This is a well-deserved milestone in his career and reflects the work he has put into his development here in Spokane."
A Kelowna, B.C. native, Finley posted 14 multi-point games, including four with 3+ and a career-best four points (1G-3A) in a dramatic 7-6 overtime win at Portland in early February. He finished the shortened season with points in 12 of the team's 17 games (9G-12A).
A key force for Spokane on faceoffs, he won 53.4% of his draws despite turning 17 on just September 2. He is just 13 days shy of the NHL cut-off (Sept. 15) that would have put him first eligible to be drafted in 2021. The former first-round bantam pick has hockey bloodlines; father Jeff played over 700 NHL games as a defenseman primarily with St. Louis and now works as an amateur scout for Winnipeg.
Finley's selection marks the 75th time a Spokane Chief has been picked in the NHL Draft, including at least one player in each of the last six years. He is the third Chief taken by the Lightning, including notable former stars Dustin Tokarski (2008; 5th round) and Joe Cardarelli (1995; 9th round). Tyler Johnson signed with Tampa Bay as a free agent.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 7, 2020
- Sutter Disappointed for Sedoff, King After Both Passed over in NHL Draft - Red Deer Rebels
- 28 Western Hockey League Players Selected in 2020 NHL Draft - WHL
- Hitmen Defenceman Luke Prokop Selected by Nashville in 2020 NHL Draft - Calgary Hitmen
- Two T-Birds Selected in 2020 NHL Draft - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Cotton Selected in 2020 NHL Entry Draft - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Pair of Rockets Selected at 2020 NHL Draft - Kelowna Rockets
- Bear Hughes Selected 148th Overall by Washington - Spokane Chiefs
- Giants Forward Justin Sourdif Drafted 87th Overall by the Florida Panthers - Vancouver Giants
- Hunt Going Wild - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Cougars Announce Second Pro-D Day Hockey School - Prince George Cougars
- Jack Finley Selected 57th Overall by Tampa Bay - Spokane Chiefs
- Connor Zary Selected in the 1st Round, 24th Overall by the Calgary Flames in the 2020 NHL Draft - Kamloops Blazers
- Seven WHL Players Selected in First Round of 2020 NHL Draft - WHL
- Neighbours Drafted 26th Overall by St. Louis Blues - Edmonton Oil Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.