Two out Hits Do in Saints as They Lose 5-2 to Explorers
SIOUX CITY, IA - The St. Paul Saints were looking to do something no other team had done this year, sweep the top team in the league, the Sioux City Explorers. Unfortunately, all five runs the Explorers scored came with two outs and the Saints lost 5-2 on Thursday night at Mercy Field at Lewis and Clark Park. The loss dropped the Saints to 33-25 and 5-2 on their 10-game roadtrip. They are 2.0 games up on the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks in the North Division.
With the Saints leading 1-0 in the fifth Eddie Medina retired the first two hitters of the inning. Then Dylan Kelly hit a pop up towards third. Dante Bichette, who was playing in, tried to backpedal and battle the wind, but the ball fell just out of his reach for an infield single. That opened the flood gates as Daniel Jackson singled to right moving Kelly to third. David Kerian tied it with an RBI single to left-center. Medina then walked back-to-back hitters, the second to Michael Lang forcing in a run making it 2-1 Explorers. Jay Austin made it 4-1 with a two-run single to left.
In the seventh the Explorers tacked on another run with two outs. With one out Jackson walked. He advanced to second on a wild pitch, but Medina struck out Kerian. Luis Durango came through with an RBI single to center making it 5-1. Medina went 6.2 innings allowing five runs on seven hits while walking four and striking out four.
The Saints nearly mounted a comeback in the eighth when they loaded the bases with nobody out. Burt Reynolds led off with a walk and Brady Shoemaker and Zach Walters followed with back-to-back singles. Bichette Jr. then struck out. Nathaniel Maggio worked a walk to force in a run making it 5-2. The Saints then pinch hit for Anthony Phillips with the left-hand hitting Matt Snyder, but he struck out looking. Aaron Gretz flew out to center to end the inning.
The Saints got on the board first in the second when Walters singled to right-center. With one out Maggio singled him to second. Phillips then came through with an RBI single to right giving the Saints a 1-0 lead, but they would not be able to hang on and complete the sweep.
The Saints begin a three-game series against the Gary SouthShore Railcats beginning Friday night at U.S. Steel Yard at 7:10 p.m. The Saints send LHP Chris Nunn (2-1, 2.08) to the mound against Railcats RHP Daniel Minor (9-2, 3.00). The game can be heard on Alt 93.3 FM.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 19, 2018
- Picht Leads X's to Win, Able to Avoid Sweep - Sioux City Explorers
- Two out Hits Do in Saints as They Lose 5-2 to Explorers - St. Paul Saints
- 'Cats Bring Bacon, Beach Party, and Bucket Hats to the B Allpark - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- RedHawks and RailCats Game Postponed Due to Rain - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Series Finale against Fargo-Moorhead Washed Out - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- T-Bones Sign Former Orioles Pitcher Jayson Aquino - Kansas City T-Bones
- Open up the Broom Closet in a 8-3 T-Bones Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- Railroaders Swept by Kansas City - Cleburne Railroaders
- AirHogs Head North After Finale Loss vs. Chicago - Texas AirHogs
- Wignuts Exact Revenge with Comeback Win over Saltdogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Bergin's Five-Hit Night Powers Canaries to Win over Goldeyes - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Canaries Even Series on Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wichita Lifts Haymarket Park Curse - Wichita Wingnuts
- RedHawks Drop Second Game to Pesky RailCats - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Saints Fall in Final Game of Homestand to RedHawks 8-4
- Saints Flex Their Muscles in 10-1 Win over RedHawks
- Grand Finale: Saints Slam Canaries with Late Comeback, 8-4
- Fun with Numbers: Saints Bounce Back to Beat Birds, 11-8
- Nothing Messy About this One as Saints Cruise to 11-4 Victory over Canaries