Two More Returnees Announced
Wheeling, WV- The 2002 & 2003 National Champion Ohio Valley Greyhounds welcome the return two starters from the 2003 championship team.
The Greyhounds are pleased to announce the signing of Rayshawn Askew a 210 pound running back from Elizabeth City College.
Askew is a two year veteran of indoor football, Ray spent the 2002 season with the Lincoln Capitols of the NIFL. Ray was the NIFL second leading rusher (behind Birdie Bockery) with 975 yards and 32 touchdowns. He accumulated 1500 yards total offense and score a record seven touchdowns vs. St. Louis.
In 2003, Askew spent time with Winnipeg Blue Bommers before joining the Ohio Valley Greyhounds. As a Greyhounds, He was the most versatile Hound playing running back, slot receiver and kick returner. Askew recorded 14 touchdowns and averaged 24.2 per return. Ray best game came a crucial point of the Hounds season came in the Atlantic Conference Championship game. Ray scored five touchdowns three different ways (rushing, receiving and kick return) to help secure a return trip for the Greyhounds to Indoor Bowl III.
Ray is the older brother of the 2003 third round draft pick of the New York Jets, BJ Askew of The University of Michigan.
Also joining Askew for the 2004 season with the Greyhounds is Gary Jackson.
Gary Jackson is a 185 pound cornerback from Potomac State JC. Gary has been a three year starter for the Ohio Valley Greyhounds. Jackson joined the Hounds after attending the 2000 winter combine. He led the NIFL in Interceptions in the 2002 season and was named all division first team.
In 2003, Jackson started 16 games and recorded 26 tackles, 4 interceptions and 10 pass breakups. Gary received all-conference honors from the NIFL.
Gary is one of three (Jackson, whitfield & Blackburn) original Greyhounds remaining and one of only six (Jackson, Jackson, Whitfield, Blackburn, Wehrle & Franzer) returns with two years of championship experience.
• Discuss this story on the National Indoor Football League message board...
National Indoor Football League Stories from February 12, 2004
- Outlaws Ink Radio Deal; Re-Sign 2 Defensive Stars - Billings Outlaws
- Colorado Venom Ink Three - Colorado Venom
- Colorado Venom Add Five More to 2004 Roster - Colorado Venom
- Venom Add Three, Including Local High School Coaches - Colorado Venom
- Crude Report - Oklahoma Crude
- Storm to Host National Anthem Auditions - Sioux Falls Storm
- Dance Team Tryout This Sunday - Tupelo FireAnts
- Diesel Invite 8 into 2004 Camp - Tri-City Diesel
- Marshals add three more to their roster - The Marshals
- Two More Returnees Announced - Ohio Valley Greyhounds
- Crable Ready to Rock in 2004 - Fort Wayne Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Ohio Valley Greyhounds Stories
- Two Greyhounds Players Achieve "UIF Player of the Week" Honors
- Greyhounds Sign Five New Players
- Greyhounds Enter Broadcast Partnership with Network West Virginia
- Head Coach Bryson Signs Four New Players Prior to BlueCats Game
- Greyhounds and Network West Virginia Announce Broadcast Partnership