Two Homers Back Debarr and Dowdy
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas - Although the Grand Prairie AirHogs left 10 men on base on Thursday, they did enough with a pair of home runs in the third inning and stellar pitching from Nick DeBarr and Justin Dowdy to beat the Wichita Wingnuts 3-1 at QuikTrip Park, extending their winning streak to nine and their home winning streak to 16.
A pair of doubles by David Peralta and Jared McDonald gave Wichita (31-14) the lead in the second, and although the AirHogs (33-13) had a baserunner reach on an error and a hit in the first, three hits in the second and a walk in the third, they were held off the scoreboard by lefty Jeff Nadeau (0-1).
That would change in the fourth, as Greg Porter led off with a single up the middle before Chris McMurray lined his ninth home run of the season over the leftfield wall to give the AirHogs the lead. Two batters later it was David Thomas hitting his fourth of the season on a high drive to left just inside the foul pole to make it 3-1.
Grand Prairie would get two hit batters, three singles and a triple the rest of the way, but could not put any more runs up on the scoreboard.
But DeBarr (8-2) made those three runs hold up, allowing two hits and no other baserunners between the third and the eighth. However, two straight singles to start the eighth gave the AirHogs a major scare, but after Ryan Khoury bunted the runners over, Sean Smith popped out, and the AirHogs intentionally walked John Rodriguez to bring up Justin Tellam, who was 0-for-3 with a pair of strikeouts and a popup against DeBarr. The moved worked, as DeBarr struck him out looking to end the inning.
In the ninth, Dowdy walked Peralta to start the inning, before McDonald flied out for the first out. But Dowdy then walked Blake Bergeron to put the possible tying run aboard, before McMurray nailed Bergeron on the back end of a possible double steal to take that second runner right off the bases. Dowdy then struck out pinch-hitter Steve Carrillo to finish off his 12th save of the year.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 6, 2012
- Tagert Earns 400th RailCat Victory in 13-3 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Wingnuts Acquire Slugger Avila - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Return Home Saturday - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Minnesota Vikings Cheerleaders To Visit Lewis & Clark Park - Sioux City Explorers
- Online Fan Voting Open for Top Sioux Falls Shortstop - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Goldeyes Place Butler on Waivers - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Two Homers Back Debarr and Dowdy - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Big Inning Crushes Lemurs - Laredo Lemurs
- 19 More Hits For Diablos In Victory Over Lemurs - El Paso Diablos
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs