Training Camp Report - Day 1
Montreal - Beautiful weather returned to Montreal just in time for the first practice of the Montreal Alouettes 2019 training camp Monday afternoon, at Percival Molson Memorial Stadium, home the Alouettes, situated on beautiful Mount Royal.
Close to 90 players jumped on the field and shared a contagious energy as the start of the 2019 season approaches. Head Coach Mike Sherman, who now has one season of three-down football behind him, likes what he saw from his players.
"Our quarterbacks showed that they were ready on this first day. Our defence is new this year, but it is adapting. Our offence is using the same language as last year, so it's normal that it has a leg up for now. The defence will catch up pretty soon," said Sherman.
The Alouettes added national defensive lineman Nathan Anderson to the roster. The 2019 draft pick will be on the field with his teammates on Tuesday.
Kicker Boris Bede showed all the strength of his leg with powerful punts... Offensive lineman Luc Brodeur-Jourdain smiled as he arrived at the field, he looked happy to be back on a football field... Young receiver Zac Parker came out with some nice catches today. Receiver B.J. Cunningham is pleased with the addition of receiver DeVier Posey. "He's so talented, I'm excited about what he's going to do this season with us. I was impressed by what I saw today."... Defensive back and newcomer Taylor Loffler met his new Alouettes fans for the first time. He already seems comfortable in his new colours.
He said it
"It's nice to see our guys in a new offence go up against a new defense. The negotiations are over and we can really focus on football. There is a lot of talent in our team. I enjoyed seeing many of our supporters in the stands today."
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from May 20, 2019
- Coors Light Training Camp Report: Day 2 - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Training Camp Report - Day 1 - Montreal Alouettes
- Eskimos Release Three, Sign One - Edmonton Eskimos
- BC Lions Add Hometown LB Adam Konar - B.C. Lions
- Riders Sign Two - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- RedBlacks Sign Two - Ottawa RedBlacks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Montreal Alouettes Stories
- Alouettes to Walk against Racism and Police Brutality
- Alouettes Wish Best of Success to Marcel Bellefeuille
- Alouettes Add American Receiver Vinny Papale to the Roster
- Alouettes Select Five Players from the RSEQ
- Alouettes Select Marc-Antoine Dequoy with their First Pick