Toyota Field to Host CF Monterrey and Cruz Azul
SAN ANTONIO, TX (Feb. 13, 2018) - Toyota Field will host an exhibition match between Liga MX sides CF Monterrey and Cruz Azul on Sunday, March 25 at 4 p.m. promoted by Sports Marketing Monterrey.
San Antonio FC Season Ticket Members will have an exclusive pre-sale window to purchase tickets to the match starting Thursday, Feb. 15 at 10 a.m. Tickets for the match will then go on sale to the general public on Monday, Feb. 19 at 10 a.m. CT. Tickets can be purchased online by visiting Ticketmaster.com, with prices starting at $37. Tickets will also be available for purchase at the AT&T Center box office.
"We're excited to bring another high-caliber exhibition match to Toyota Field," said Director of Toyota Field Dave Susi. "This will mark the second friendly match featuring clubs from Mexico's top division in 2018 in addition to the San Antonio FC season. San Antonio is a soccer city and we're proud to continue hosting notorious clubs in our city's premier soccer venue."
CF Monterrey was founded in 1945 is one of the most popular clubs in Mexico's top flight (Liga MX), as well as the oldest active club from the northern region of the country. The club has won 10 domestic titles, including four Liga MX, one Interliga, and three Copa MX championships, most recently claiming the Apertura 2017 Copa MX. On the international stage, Monterrey won three consecutive CONCACAF Champions League titles from 2010-2013, and earned a third-place finish in the 2012 FIFA Club World Cup.
Cruz Azul was founded in 1927 and have won eight first division titles in Mexico, which marks the fourth-most in the league's history. Cruz Azul also has six CONCACAF Champions League titles including their latest in the 2013-14 season, which makes them the second-most successful club in the history of the tournament.
An 8,000-seat stadium, Toyota Field opened in 2013 and has been the home of the USL club San Antonio FC since the spring of 2016. The facility was acquired in 2015 by the City of San Antonio and Bexar County, in partnership with Spurs Sports & Entertainment who now control all operations of the facility along with the neighboring STAR Soccer Complex.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League message board...
United Soccer League Stories from February 13, 2018
- New Addition Bolsters Phoenix' MLS Bid and Connects Asian, European and North American Soccer Interests - Phoenix Rising FC
- Penn FC Signs Dan Metzger - Penn FC
- Preseason: Week 2 Preview - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Switchbacks Announce Capelli Sport as Official Uniform and Equipment Supplier in Multi-Year Deal - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Toyota Field to Host CF Monterrey and Cruz Azul - San Antonio FC
- USL's Week Ahead: USL Clubs Welcome MLS Preseason Tests - USL
- FCC-Chicago Fire Reserve Match Cancelled - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Hosts Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC in Third Round of U.S. Open Cup
- San Antonio FC Extends USL Unbeaten Streak to Five with 1-1 Draw against Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- San Antonio FC to Host the Colorado Springs Switchbacks in Third Round of U.S. Open Cup on May 23
- San Antonio FC Advances to Third Round of Open Cup with 4-0 Win over Midland
- San Antonio FC Visits Midland-Odessa Sockers FC in First Match of U.S. Open Cup Run