Tourists Thump Braves in Series Finale
The visiting Asheville Tourists (15-20) jumped on top early and poured it on the Rome Braves (19-17) in Sunday's series finale. Asheville shutout Rome 9-0 and surrendered just five hits to the R-Braves at State Mutual Stadium.
Asheville added one run in the top of the first inning against starter Bryce Elder. After two quiet innings, the Tourists exploded for three runs in the fourth to control a 4-0 advantage. Asheville scored four more runs in the seventh inning and one in the eighth, taking their second win of the series in a 9-0 thumping.
The only batters for Rome to get hits were Shean Michel (2-for-4), Jesse Franklin V (2-for-4), and Riley Delgado (1-for-3), while Delgado, Brett Langhorne, Bryce Ball, and Andrew Moritz earned walks against Asheville.
Right-hander Bryce Elder had his worst appearance of the season on Sunday, as the Texas product gave up three earned runs on six hits and three walks in six innings pitched. Elder did record four strikeouts against Tourist batters but received the loss in Rome. Gabriel Noguera entered in relief and allowed four earned runs in 1/3 of an inning. Mitch Stallings (1.2IP, 1ER) and Coleman Huntley III (1IP, 0R, 2K) followed Noguera and found a way to slow down the Asheville attack.
The R-Braves still won the game against the Tourists, taking four of six matchups this week. After a much-needed off-day on Monday, Rome starts a very important six-game series at home against the division-leading Bowling Green Hot Rods. The two teams are scheduled to play each day from Tuesday through Sunday at State Mutual Stadium.
Monday's game against the Hot Rods will begin at 7 p.m. EST in Rome. The daily promotion is $2 Tuesday, in which fans can receive $2 off any bowl ticket or purchase hot dogs, popcorn, 12oz fountain drinks, and domestic draft beers for $2 each. For ticketing information, visit RomeBraves.com.
• Discuss this story on the High-A East League message board...
High-A East League Stories from June 13, 2021
- 'Dads Punch out 15 in Extra Inning Loss - Hickory Crawdads
- Tourists Thump Braves in Series Finale - Rome Braves
- Moclair, Melendez and Procopio Spin Asheville's First Shutout - Asheville Tourists
- Dash Fall 2-1 in Finale against Greenville - Winston-Salem Dash
- Howlett, Shugart Help Earn Greenville 2-1 Series-Clinching Win Over Dash - Greenville Drive
- Brooklyn Wastes Butto's Beauty, Cyclones Fall 5-0 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Gades Take Fourth in a Row - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Touki Toussaint Scheduled to Rehab in Rome Tuesday - Rome Braves
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (June 13) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hot Rods Win 12-Inning Thriller over Aberdeen, 10-9 on Saturday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rome Braves Stories
- Vines, Riley, Yeager Combine to One-Hit Asheville in Saturday Night Victory
- Handful of Homers on Hammerin' Hank Night Hand Tourists Victory
- Rangel Shines, Rome Beats Asheville 2-1
- Hot Bats Hand Braves 9-4 Victory over Tourists
- Huascar Ynoa Scheduled to Rehab in Rome Sunday