Toros Acquire Serge Angounou
Austin, TX (February 4, 2008) The Toros announced today that they acquired 6-8, 236 pound forward Serge Angounou out of Arizona State and product of the D-League open tryout system. Angounou played with the Albuquerque Thunderbirds through January and averaged five points and four rebounds in 16 minutes. Angounou replaces Kris Lang who left the team. Angounou will wear jersey number 53 and will join the team on Friday in McAllen, Texas where the Toros take on the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.
In other roster moves, the Toros waived rookie forward Eric Dawson due to injury and reacquired Kenton Paulino, a 6-1 guard from the University of Texas. Paulino was waived earlier in the season due to injury.
The NBA Development League is the NBA's official minor league, and the first-ever basketball league with direct affiliations to NBA teams. Now in its seventh season the D-League's goals are to provide affordable, NBA-caliber entertainment to fans of its 14 teams, as well as continue to develop players, coaches, referees and front-office personnel for the NBA. As the single source for in-season player "call-ups" to the NBA, fans of the D-League enjoy the highest caliber of basketball played outside the NBA. In fact, former D-League players represented 10 percent of NBA players on 2007-08 opening day rosters, numbering 44 in total.
In addition, the D-League has produced 25 percent of current NBA referees and 17 current NBA coaches, including head coach Sam Vincent with the Charlotte Bobcats. The D-League is an innovative and rapidly growing sports property that also serves as an experimental testing ground for new initiatives like the live web-streaming of all games available free to fans at d-league.com. The League also provides continuing education and professional development resources for its players, and is committed to serving its local communities through D-LEAGUE CARES and grassroots efforts.
For Toros season and group ticket information, call the Toros office at (512) 236-8333 or visit austintoros.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 4, 2008
- 14ers Weekly Update - Colorado 14ers
- 14ers Acquire Davin White in Trade with Anaheim - Colorado 14ers
- Thunderbirds Sweeten Partnership with Sweet Tomatoes - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- Toros Acquire Serge Angounou - Austin Spurs
- Idaho's Brian Gates and Los Angeles' Dan Panaggio To Coach 2008 D-League All-Star Game - G League
- Dakota's Carlos Powell Named D-League.Com Performer of the Week - G League
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Wizards Dazzle Thunderbirds - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- D-League Daily Developments - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.