Toronto FC Inks Defender Ty Harden
Toronto FC announced Wednesday they have acquired defender Ty Harden from the Colorado Rapids in exchange for a third round MLS SuperDraft pick in 2011. Per league and team policies financial terms were not available.
"We are excited to have him on board with us," said head coach Preki. "He's a good quality, young defender and there are many things I like about him. He showed a lot of promise in his rookie season with the Galaxy and we hope he can add some toughness to our back line."
Harden, 25, was a second round pick in the 2007 MLS SuperDraft of the Los Angeles Galaxy. In his rookie season he started all 24 games that he played in, amassing 2,086 minutes. He went on to be named the Galaxy's 2007 Defender of the Year.
In 2008, he stepped away from the game to pursue philanthropic endeavors, moving to Nairobi, Kenya for six weeks to work as a volunteer at Hamomi Children's Centre. Once there, he also helped set up the school's first soccer team and helped arranged games with other schools. He left Hamomi in December of 2008 and joined Colorado when the Rapids and Galaxy agreed to a trade on January 13, 2009.
The central defender saw limited action in 2009 with the Rapids appearing in only seven matches mainly due to the strong depth at his position. He appeared in one game with the Rochester Rhino's of the USL while on loan there for one month in the summer. While with Rochester he played in a U.S. Open Cup match against Columbus and scored a goal. Harden was called back to Colorado during his loan period to play in Colorado's friendly against Club America.
Harden will fly straight to Bradenton, Florida to join his new teammates at pre-season camp.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 10, 2010
- Red-And-White Travel To Guadalajara Tomorrow; Santos Injures Knee - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Wizards Defeat San Jose Earthquakes 3-0 in Second Preseason Game - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes Individual Tickets For 2010 Go On Sale Thursday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Florida Leg Of Preseason Culminates With Saturday Match Vs. D.C. - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake To Be Honored By Utah State Legislature - Real Salt Lake
- Sounders FC Hire White As "Voice Of The Sounders FC" - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Sign Brazilian Forward Eduardo - San Jose Earthquakes
- Rapids Acquire Draft Pick In Trade With Toronto FC - Colorado Rapids
- Toronto FC Inks Defender Ty Harden - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Toronto FC Stories
- Four Toronto FC Players Called into Canadian National Team
- Toronto FC Re-Sign Defender Chris Mavinga
- Toronto FC Return to Bmo Field to Kick off 2018 Season as Major League Soccer Defending Champions
- Toronto FC Re-Sign Morrow
- Toronto FC Sign Spanish Midfielder Ager Aketxe