Tony Mitchell to Participate in Slam Dunk Contest
FORT WAYNE, IN (February 11, 2013)-The NBA Development League announced today that Mad Ants rookie, Tony Mitchell, has been selected to participate in the Boost Mobile Slam Dunk Contest during halftime of the 2013 NBA D-League All-Star Game on Saturday, February 16 at NBA All-Star Jam Session's Sprint Arena inside the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston. The 2013 D-League All-Star Game begins at 3 p.m. ET, and will be broadcast live on NBA TV. This marks the first time that Boost Mobile is the presenting partner of the NBA D-League Dream Factory, NBA D-League Slam Dunk Contest, and NBA D-League Three Point Contest.
Mitchell, a 6'6" forward out of Alabama, is averaging 18.2 points, 6.4 rebounds, and 2.4 assists per game for the Mad Ants this season. He recorded a career-high 32 points against the Canton Charge on February 4, 2013. Mitchell will compete in the Boost Mobile NBA D-League Slam Dunk Contest against Josh Owens (Idaho Stampede), Dar Tucker (Reno Bighorns) and Glen Rice, Jr. (Rio Grande Valley Vipers).
The four Boost Mobile NBA D-League Slam Dunk Contest participants will be judged by NBA D-League alumni and Phoenix Suns guard Shannon Brown along with the winner of the Boost Mobile NBA D-League Sweepstakes who will travel to Houston to participate in the action. The NBA D-League Boost Mobile Sweepstakes, which ran between Jan. 3 and Jan. 27, gave fans from around the country an opportunity to be a part of NBA D-League All-Star festivities in Houston. Brown and the lucky winner will be joined by Dallas Maverick Bernard James and NBA greats Darryl Dawkins and Michael Ray Richardson as judges for the event.
The two-round Boost Mobile NBA D-League Slam Dunk Contest allows for each competitor to complete two dunks in Round One for which they will be awarded between six and 10 points from each judge for every made dunk. The two players with the highest composite scores after Round One move on to Round Two, where the scoring system remains the same. The player with the highest composite score of the possible two dunks in Round Two is crowned the 2013 Boost Mobile NBA D-League Slam Dunk Contest winner.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 11, 2013
- McNeal Fuels Jam to 104-93 Road Win - Bakersfield Jam
- Bakersfield Outlasts Erie, 104-93 - Erie BayHawks
- Red Claws' DaJuan Summers Returns to Action - Maine Red Claws
- Owens, Holiday to Compete at NBA D-League All-Star Weekend - Idaho Stampede
- Bighorns Players to Compete at NBA D-League All-Star Weekend - Reno Bighorns
- Tony Mitchell to Participate in Slam Dunk Contest - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Red Claws' Downs to Participate in Boost Mobile NBA D-League Dream Factory - Maine Red Claws
- NBA Development League Dream Factory Presented by Boost Mobile Returns - G League
- Glen Rice, Jr. to Participate in All-Star Dunk Competition - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Maine's Chris Wright Named NBA Development League Performer of the Week - G League
- Red Claws Acquire All-Star Forward Mays from Armor - Maine Red Claws
- Springfield Acquires Kris Joseph from Maine - Springfield Armor
- Miles Plumlee Recalled - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.