Tomahawks Squeak by Black Bears
ODENTON, MD - The Maryland Black Bears fell to the Johnstown Tomahawks Friday night, 2-3. Two early goals in the first period punctured a hole too fatal to recover from. The East Division rivalry lived up to the hype as tensions heightened and play was physical from start to finish.
The Johnstown Tomahawks wasted no time establishing a 2-0 lead in the first period. Bennett Stockdale scored the first goal of the night with assists from Matthew Doyle and Tristan Poissant. Several minutes later Noah Basarab of the Tomahawks converted their second strike with help from Bennett Stockdale and Liam Whitehouse.
Cooler heads did not prevail in the second period. Johnstown Tomahawks' goalie David Tomeo committed a tripping penalty that resulted in a Black Bear goal from Reid Leibold. Assistant Captains Luke Mountain and Hampus Rydqvist were given credit for the assists on the power-play goal. The Tomahawks responded less than a minute later with a goal from Noah Basarab. Toward the end of the period, controversy broke out between the two teams, which resulted in unsportsmanlike conduct penalties for each team.
Two minutes into the third period, Liam Whitehouse from the Johnstown Tomahawks was penalized heavily after responding physically to a roughing minor from Cameron Recchi. The penalties from Whitehouse resulted in a goal from Black Bear Forward, Aden Bruich and the Tomahawk lead was cut to 3-2. Unfortunately, time ran out for the Black Bears' comeback. Even with an extra attack during the final minutes, the Black Bears were unable to find the equalizer.
The Black Bears seek revenge against the Johnstown Tomahawks tomorrow for the final game of the weekend series. Puck drops at 7:00 PM in the 1st Summit Arena.
The Maryland Black Bears is a Junior Hockey Team that competes in the North American Hockey League (NAHL). Our players, 16-20 years old, are vying for NCAA DI/III Scholarships. The Black Bears are the hometown hockey team of Central Maryland and play out of the Piney Orchard Ice Arena. The Maryland Black Bears play for more than just wins!
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2020
- Weekend Preview - vs. Fairbanks - New Mexico Ice Wolves
- West Makes 38 Saves, Rebels Take Down Knights 5-1 - Jamestown Rebels
- Odessa Falls 4-1 in Topeka - Odessa Jackalopes
- Tomahawks Squeak by Black Bears - Maryland Black Bears
- Amarillo Tops Shreveport to Earn Sixth Straight Victory - Amarillo Bulls
- Tomahawks Tame Black Bears - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Win Streak Broken as Bruins Trampled by Tauros, 7-1 - Austin Bruins
- Rebels Deal Clark to Bismarck for Two Players - Jamestown Rebels
- Raise Your Hand If You're Ready for Wings Hockey Tonight at the Odde - Aberdeen Wings
- On the Road Again - Minot Minotauros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.