Titans Week(s) in Review
Looks like it happened again...with all the excitement and preparation for going down to Florida, I failed to keep you updated with all the happenings in Trenton Titans hockey! So, without further ado, here is a quick look at the weeks that were, as the Titans went 2-4 (1-3 on the road).
Friday January 25: Las Vegas - 3, TRENTON -4 (OT)
Trenton opened up a 3-0 lead after one, only to see LV chip away with two in the second and a game-tying goal in the last two minutes of the third.
Derrick Pallis helped the Titans avoid a shootout with his third goal (2ndPPG) of the year with 23 seconds left in OT. It was his first career game-winner and gave Scott Wedgewood a 38-save win.
Saturday January 26: WHEELING - 3, Trenton - 2
Mike Ullrich (3) and Jacob Drewiske (9) scored for the Titans in this back and forth affair that had the teams trading goals. Wheeling scored with under four to play, then held off Trenton with its goalie pulled for the win.
Cal Heeter started for Trenton, but a penalty forced his removal after 23 saves. Wedgewood stopped 4-of-5 in relief, but was saddled with the loss.
Sunday January 27: Trenton - 1, ELMIRA - 8
While Elmira played well and did have some good goals, it seemed as if every bad break that could doom the Titans did. Brian Haczyk (6) made the game 2-1 with 10 minutes left in the first, but the Jackals finished the scoring including four in the final period.
With an emergency goalie on roster, Wedgewood was forced to play the whole game - stopping 20 on the night.
Wednesday January 30: Trenton - 2, FLORIDA - 5
After a first period that saw the titans down just 1-0, Florida exploded for three in the second in every possible way - SH, PP and even strength - to put the game away.
Trenton set the stage for Friday by scoring twice in the final six minutes, as Connor Goggin (5) and Ullrich (4) battled to ruin the Everblades shutout bid.
Despite the loss, Wedgewood was brilliant again, stopping 32 in the loss.
Friday February 1: TRENTON - 5, Florida - 4 (OT)
Stephen Shultz finished his hat trick (14, 15, 16) to give the Titans a 4-1 lead with 7:32 left in the second. But the defending ECHL champs finished a wild second with two goals, then tied things up less than two minutes into the third.
Wedgewood (37 saves) once again put on a dazzling display into OT, as did Rob Madore (14 saves in relief after Shultz's trick), until Ullrich became the hero, putting home a rebound off a Kory Nagy shot for the game winner with just 27 seconds left in OT.
Saturday February 2: Trenton - 4, ORLANDO - 6
In a wildly entertaining game, the SolarBears traded goals all night with Trenton until 13:37, when a Ryan Blair breakaway was stopped by Heeter, but the rebound bounced off a trailing Titan. All three ended up in the net for the eventual game-winner, as Orlando added an empty net goal to finish the scoring.
Heeter stopped 28 in his first decision as a Titan. Ullrich had two more points (G, A) as nine different Titans recorded a point at the Amway Center before a crowd of 8,650.
The (Re)View From Atop Mount Olympus
Relief Effort In The Wake Of Hurricane Sandy: As time passes and the holidays came upon us, it is easy to forget the people who were - and continue to be - effected in the aftermath of Sandy. The Titans are grateful to the members of Titans Nation who provided - and continue to offer - relief supplies for those in need.
The Titans will continue the help their neighbors and will keep delivering donations as they come in. Trenton would like to thank its friends at Justin's Rentals in Trenton, for supplying the transportation needed to deliver those donations. For information on how you can help, please call the Titans' Offices at 609-341-1100.
They Call Him The Streak: A new man in town, Ullrich brought his scoring stick with him, as he has a 7-game scoring streak entering Wednesday's game with Gwinnett. He has 12 points (5G, 7A) as a Titan.
Rough Initiation: The Titans have not been kind to the ECHL newcomers this season, although ORL got a little payback. It was the first loss for Trenton against this season's expansion teams (EVN 3-0, FW 1-0, ORL 1-1). Trenton does not face SF this year.
Power-ful Scorer: Nine of Schultz's 16 goals have come on the PP
Still Leader Of The Pack: Despite missing the last few games with an upper body injury, Andy Bohmbach currently leads the team in Goals (19), scoring (38), PPG (10), SHG (3) and GWG (5).
You Better Protect Your House...: Trenton still leads the ECHL in Road SHG (7). The Titans had 7 SHG (3 road) all of last season.
...Because We Will Protect It Too: Trenton is #1 in the league on the PK at 86.1% (167-194) and has been in the top-5 most of the year. They are also 5 th in Road PKs at 88% (88-100).
Wednesday February 6 vs. Gwinnett (GWT is 1-0 this year vs. TRE)
Friday February 8 vs. Reading (TRE has won the last two home meetings in OT)
Saturday February 9 vs. Kalamazoo (the first meeting this year between the two)
The Trenton Titans returned in the 2011-12 hockey season after a five year hiatus and boasted a 26.1% increase in attendance over the previous year, the largest of any team in the (then) 20-team ECHL. For information on promotions, team events or to purchase tickets for the 2012-13 season, call the Titans' offices at 609-341-1100, or go to TrentonTitansHockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 6, 2013
- Sauve Seals Victory For K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Titans Last Second Push Falls Short; Lose to Gwinnett, 3-2 - Trenton Titans
- Jackals Flush the Royals - Elmira Jackals
- Titans Week(s) in Review - Trenton Titans
- Gladiators Topple Titans, 3-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Berube Sees Second Recall to Manchester - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - February 6 - ECHL
- Stingrays Sign Forward Brian Elser - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Loan Defenseman Adam Comrie to Worcester - Reading Royals
- Titans GameDay vs. Gwinnett, February 6 - Game 47 (Home 24) - Trenton Titans
- Grizzlies' Colin Vock Goes for ECHL History Tonight - Utah Grizzlies
- Wrangle a Date Has Arrived, SF Bulls Host Las Vegas - San Francisco Bulls
- Grizzlies' Vock Goes for History Tonight - ECHL
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Countdown to Face-Off: Kalamazoo Wings vs Evansville IceMen - Kalamazoo Wings
- Marcou Gets the Call to AHL - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Today - February 6 - ECHL
- Condors #ToppleTheThunder 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Thunder rallies from 3-0 hole, Bakersfield escapes with late go-ahead goal - Stockton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Titans Stories
- Trenton Titans Hockey Organization to Cease Operations
- Titans (Final) Week in Review
- Titans GameDay at Wheeling, March 20 - Game 72 (Final), Away 36
- Wedgewood Sets Six Marks as Titans Fall in Final Meeting with Elmira, 4-1
- Titans GameDay at Elmira, March 29 - Game 71 (Away 35)