Titans Fall 5-1 to Jackals; Get Split in Elmira
Elmira, NY - The Trenton Titans, proud ECHL affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers, went to Elmira looking for four points and an end to their six-game winless streak. A win in the first of a two game set on Friday took care of the streak, but the Jackals wouldn't let them leave Saturday with all four points. Riding the strength of three power play goals, Elmira (7-6-1, 15 points) got the split at home behind a 5-1 win before 2,500 fans at First Arena and ending a six-game winless streak of its own.
Trenton (6-7-0-1, 13 points) entered the night with 27-straight penalty kills, but Elmira put an end to that quickly with a Louie Caporusso goal on the Jackals first opportunity at 2:09 of the first.
Trenton tried to fight back, but kept catching penalty after penalty, playing a man down five times in the frame. The last one carried over into the second and proved to be a back breaker.
Andrew Rowe struck 33 seconds into the period during a delayed penalty to make it 2-0. Then Kyle Bushee beat Niko Hovinen (2-4-0-1, 24 saves) at 2:06 on the new power play. Three power play goals in six tries gave the Titans a 3-0 hole they would not be able to climb out of.
Rob Bellamy and Rowe's second of the night gave the Jackals a 5-0 lead through two, before Andy Bohmbach finally ended the shutout attempt of goalie Maxime Clermont (2-3-1, 26 saves). Bohmbach scored his sixth of the year on the power play, using a wrister from the top of the right circle to beat Clermont with eight minutes left to play.
On the night Elmira - the number one power play at home (33%) and second best in the league overall (29.7%) - went 3-for-8 on the power play, while Trenton ended up 1-for-3 on the man advantage.
The two sides will meet again in Trenton, NJ, for a two-game set on Saturday December 1st (7:05 pm) and Sunday December 2ns (4:05 pm) at the Sun National Bank Center.
After The Horn
With their PPG, the Titans ended Elmira's perfect PK at home. The Jackals had 32 straight kills to start the season.
With an assist tonight, Stephen Schultz has a point in three straight games.
Bohmbach has four goals over his last three games.
Trenton is 0-7 when the opposition scores first, and have never led in any of those games.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 18, 2012
- Rajala nets two as the Thunder improve to 6-1-0 at Stockton Arena - Stockton Thunder
- Stockton Holds off Idaho, 4-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Bulls Complete Improbable Comeback, Stun Grizzlies, 4-3, in Shootout - San Francisco Bulls
- San Francisco Ties at Buzzer, Beats Utah in Shootout - Utah Grizzlies
- Gladiators Hang on for 2-1 Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- K-Wings Drop Second Straight To Solar Bears - Kalamazoo Wings
- Gladiators Slip Past Stingrays 2-1 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder vs. Idaho Steelheads - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - November 18 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Kalamazoo Wings Today - November 18 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Bulls Look for Weekend Split at Home against Utah - San Francisco Bulls
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Kids Day Today against Gladiators - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - November 18 - ECHL
- Bulls Comeback Halted by Utah in 5-3 Loss - San Francisco Bulls
- Aces Complete Sweep of Eagles with 4-3 Win - Alaska Aces
- Condors Battle, But Fall in a Shootout 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- NHLers Help Aces Edge Eagles Again, 4-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Grizzlies Beat San Francisco 5-3 - Utah Grizzlies
- Titans Fall 5-1 to Jackals; Get Split in Elmira - Trenton Titans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Titans Stories
- Trenton Titans Hockey Organization to Cease Operations
- Titans (Final) Week in Review
- Titans GameDay at Wheeling, March 20 - Game 72 (Final), Away 36
- Wedgewood Sets Six Marks as Titans Fall in Final Meeting with Elmira, 4-1
- Titans GameDay at Elmira, March 29 - Game 71 (Away 35)