Timbers to Begin 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Tournament Play against Cd Marathon in Round of 16
PORTLAND, Ore. - Concacaf today conducted the official draw for the 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League (SCCL). The Portland Timbers will square off against Honduran club CD Marathón in the two-legged Round of 16 that will take place between April 6-8 (first leg) and April 13-15 (second leg).
The 16 participating clubs have been divided into eight matchups as follows:
Matchup #1: Cruz Azul (MEX) vs Arcahaie FC (HAI)
Matchup #2: Forge FC or Toronto FC (CAN) vs Club Leon (MEX)
Matchup #3: CF Monterrey (MEX) vs Club Atletico Pantoja (DOM)
Matchup #4: Columbus Crew SC (USA) vs Real Esteli FC (NCA)
Matchup #5: Philadelphia Union (USA) vs Deportivo Saprissa (CRC)
Matchup #6: Atlanta United FC (USA) vs LD Alajuelense (CRC)
Matchup #7: Club America (MEX) vs CD Olimpia (HON)
Matchup #8: Portland Timbers (USA) vs CD Marathón (HON)
*The winner of the Canadian Championship (date TBD) will compete in the 2021 SCCL
Marathón competes in the Liga Nacional de FÃºtbol Profesional de Honduras, with its home stadium, Estadio Yankel Rosenthal, based in San Pedro Sula, Honduras. Marathón advanced to the SCCL for a sixth time after qualifying through the 2020 Scotiabank Concacaf League, which took place in Dec. 2020. Marathon last participated in the SCCL in 2019 and reached the quarterfinals of the first two editions in 2008-09 and 2009-10.
The Portland Timbers qualified for the 2021 SCCL after defeating Orlando City SC 2-1 in the MLS is Back Tournament Final on Aug. 11, 2020. The 2021 edition of the competition marks Portland's third appearance in the Concacaf Champions League tournament in the last eight seasons after qualifying as MLS Cup champions in 2015 and qualifying for the 2014-15 edition of the tournament by finishing with the best overall record from the conference opposite the MLS Supporters' Shield winner in 2013.
Portland is one of four teams from the United States to qualify for the 2021 SCCL, being joined by Columbus Crew SC (2020 MLS Cup champions), the Philadelphia Union (2020 MLS Supporters' Shield champions) and Atlanta United FC (2019 U.S. Open Cup champions).
The Round of 16 will be followed by home and away quarterfinal matches in late April and early May, semifinals in August and September, and a single leg SCCL final in October.
For the Round of 16, the highest ranked club in each matchup will play the first leg away and the second leg at home. For the quarterfinals, the Round of 16 winners of matchups 1, 3, 5 and 7 will play the first leg away and the second leg at home. For the semifinals, the two best performing clubs in the earlier rounds of the competition will play the first leg away and the second leg at home.
The single leg final will be hosted by the best performing club of the two finalists in the earlier rounds of the 2021 SCCL (based on wins, draws and, if required, goal difference).
2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Schedule Windows
Round of 16: April 6-8 (first leg) and April 13-15 (second leg)
Quarterfinals: April 27-29 (first leg) and May 4-6 (second leg)
Semifinals: Aug. 10-12 (first leg) and Sept. 14-16 (second leg)
Final: Oct. 26-28 (single leg)
Concacaf will announce a complete schedule, including kickoff times and other details in the coming weeks.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 10, 2021
- Timbers to Begin 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Tournament Play against Cd Marathon in Round of 16 - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United Draws LD Alajuelense in 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Draw - Atlanta United FC
- Major League Soccer Announces Update to 2021 MLS Season Start - FC Dallas
- Major League Soccer Announces Update to 2021 MLS Season Start - MLS
- Houston Dynamo FC Re-Sign Defender Maynor Figueroa - Houston Dynamo FC
- Colorado Rapids Partner with US Soccer Foundation and Target to Install Mini-Pitch in Denver - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United to Learn Bracket Position for 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League - Atlanta United FC
- Nashville SC Acquires 10-Year Major League Soccer Veteran Striker CJ Sapong - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Fall 4-1 on the Road to FC Dallas at Toyota Stadium
- Timbers Square off against FC Dallas Tonight at Toyota Stadium
- Timbers, Club América Battle to 1-1 Draw in Leg One Quarterfinal Match of Concacaf Champions League at Providence Park
- Timbers Sign U.S. Youth International Midfielder Emanuel Perez
- Timbers Register 2-1 Win against Houston Dynamo FC in 2021 MLS Home Opener