Timbers Sign U.S. Youth International Midfielder Emanuel Perez
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers today announced the signing of midfielder Emanuel "Manny" Perez to a one-year contract and will loan him to MLS side Austin FC for the 2021 MLS regular season in exchange for Austin's natural third-round pick in the 2023 MLS SuperDraft. Additional General Allocation Money may be received based on Perez' performance with Austin. Perez was originally acquired by the Timbers through the MLS Allocation Process.
Perez, 22, tallied one goal and five assists in 37 appearances (25 starts) across all competitions in two seasons for North Carolina FC (2019-20). Perez has made multiple appearances for the U.S National Team at youth level, including tallying one goal and two assists in four appearances for the U-20 United States National Team that won the 2018 Concacaf U-20 Championship.
The Garner, N.C., native played two collegiate seasons at NC State (2017-18), where he tallied six goals and nine assists in 29 games played (28 starts). Perez then signed with Scottish club Celtic FC in January of 2019 and was immediately loaned to USL Championship side North Carolina FC.
Transaction: Portland Timbers sign midfielder Emanuel "Manny" Perez to a one-year contract and will loan him to MLS side Austin FC for the 2021 MLS regular season in exchange for Austin's natural third-round pick in the 2023 MLS SuperDraft. The Timbers will either receive up to $100,000 in General Allocation Money based on Perez' performance with Austin or he may join Portland's roster in 2022.
Emanuel "Manny" Perez
Born: Feb. 19, 1999, in Garner, North Carolina
Last Club: North Carolina FC (United States)
Citizenship: United States
Acquired: Signed on, April 26, 2021; loaned to Austin FC for 2021 MLS regular season.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 26, 2021
- Earthquakes Weekly - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Goalkeeper Emi Ochoa Called to U-16 Mexico National Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- An Early Look at Sunday's Matchup against Vancouver - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC 'Pleased' But 'Has to Improve' After 2-2 Draw with CF MontréalÃÂ - Nashville SC
- Toronto FC Sign Yeferson Soteldo as a Designated Player - Toronto FC
- LA Galaxy Forward Javier Hernández Voted MLS Player of the Week - LA Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Forward Javier Hernández Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Philadelphia Union - Atlanta United FC
- LA Galaxy Weekly - LA Galaxy
- Nico Figal, Federico Higuaín Named to MLS Team of the Week - Inter Miami CF
- Earthquakes Forward Cade Cowell Named to MLS Team of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Timbers Sign U.S. Youth International Midfielder Emanuel Perez - Portland Timbers
- Austin FC Aquire Midfielder Emanuel Perez on Loan for the 2021 MLS Season - Austin FC
- Orlando City SC, FAIRWINDS Team up for "Small Biz Assist" Contest to Offer Free 2021 Orlando City Sponsorship to Local Small Business - Orlando City SC
- Audi, Bleacher Report and MLS Debut Season 2 of the ACADEMY Featuring New York Red Bulls MLS Academy - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Major League Soccer Announces Time Changes for Timbers Matches against LAFC, Inter Miami CF at Providence Park
- Yimmi Chara, Felipe Mora Called up for Conmebol Copa AmÉrica 2021
- Timbers Broadcast Team Wins 2021 Northwest Regional Emmy Award
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder George Fochive
- Timbers, Thorns FC Increase Capacity to 80 Percent at Providence Park Beginning June 19