Timbers Conclude Preseason Tournament against New England Revolution
PORTLAND, Ore. - Playing their final match of the Timbers Preseason Tournament, presented by Old Trapper Beef Jerky, the Portland Timbers fell to the New England Revolution 3-1 on Saturday evening at Providence Park. The Timbers return to action on Sunday, March 1, at Providence Park, playing host to Minnesota United FC in their opening match of the 2020 season.
Saturday's match marked the sixth and final preseason match for the Timbers in 2020, with the club playing its first three matches in Costa Rica. A total of 35 players featured during the 2020 preseason for the Timbers. Goalkeeper Steve Clark started in all six preseason matches for Portland. Notably, Diego Chara scored his first career preseason goal for Portland in its match against New England.
Preseason Goal Tally
Portland scored 13 goals in six preseason matches, receiving goals from seven different players. Diego Valeri, Felipe Mora, Eryk Williamson, Dairon Asprilla and Ken Krolicki recorded two goals each during the 2020 preseason, while Valeri, SebastiÃ¡n Blanco and TomÃ¡s Conechny logged two assists apiece.
After playing six preseason matches in 2020, Portland posted a 4-2-0 record. The Timbers scored at least one goal in each of their preseason matches this year, tallying 13 goals in six games. Dating back to the 2019 season, Portland has suffered only three losses in its last 12 preseason games (8-3-1).
POR - Diego Chara, 29th minute: After picking up a rebound off a close-range shot from Mora, Chara fired a left-footed shot from the top of the box to the bottom left corner of the goal.
NE - Gustavo Bou (Brandon Bye), 42nd minute: Receiving a lobbed cross by Brandon Bye from the right side of the penalty area, Gustavo Bou leveled the match with a right-foot effort from the edge of the six-yard box.
NE - Gustavo Bou (penalty kick), 45+3: New England was awarded a penalty kick in first-half stoppage time after the Timbers were whistled for a foul inside the box. Bou stepped up and converted for the Revolution.
NE - Adam Buksa (Gustavo Bou), 51st minute: Adam Buksa received a cross from the right wing and sent a volley from close range into the back of the net.
Kicking off their 10th MLS season, the Timbers play host to Minnesota United FC on Sunday, March 1. Beginning at 4:30 p.m. (Pacific), the match against Minnesota features a national television broadcast on FS1 with local radio broadcasts on 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
2020 Preseason, presented by Old Trapper Beef Jerky
Portland Timbers vs. New England Revolution (MLS Preseason)
Feb. 22, 2020 - Providence Park (Portland, Ore.)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Portland Timbers 1 0 1
New England Revolution 2 1 3
POR: Chara, 29
NE: Bou (Bye), 42
NE: Bou (penalty kick), 45+3
NE: Buksa (Bou), 51
POR: GK Clark, D Moreira, D Mabiala, D Zuparic, D Villafaña, M Paredes (Polo, 66), M Chara, M Y. Chara (Ebobisse, 66), M Valeri © (Asprilla, 78), M Blanco, F Mora (Williamson, 87)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Ivacic, D Bonilla, D Duvall, D Cascante, D Farfan, M Zambrano, M Conechny
NE: GK Turner, D Farrell, D Kessler, D Bye, D Jones, M Caldwell, M Bou, M Bunbury (Rennicks, 83), M Rowe (Fagundez, 46), M Penilla (Buchanan, 83), F Buksa
Substitutes Not Used: GK Knighton, D Mancienne
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 22, 2020
- Timbers Conclude Preseason Tournament against New England Revolution - Portland Timbers
- Revolution Top Portland Timbers, 3-1, to Conclude Preseason - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quote Sheet: LA Galaxy 1, Chicago Fire 1 - Saturday, February 22, 2020 - LA Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo Split Doubleheader in Final Preseason Tune-Up - Houston Dynamo
- Cavallini ends preseason by scoring in four straight matches, Montero scores winner - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Paul Arriola to Undergo Surgery on Anterior Cruciate Ligament - D.C. United
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2020 International Spot from Portland Timbers - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Acquire $165,000 in General Allocation Money from Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Portland Timbers
- Worth the Wait: Younes Namli Is Excited to be with Colorado - Colorado Rapids
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers, Thorns FC Announce Community Initiatives in the Wake of Covid-19 Pandemic
- Timbers, Thorns FC to Debut 'PTFC: from the Archives ' Series Beginning March 21 on Fox 12
- Major League Soccer, National Women's Soccer League Extend Training Moratoriums
- Portland Timbers Issue Statement on MLS Season Postponement
- Timbers Defender Jorge Moreira Undergoes Successful Meniscectomy Procedure