Tigers' Hamblin Named WHL McSweeney's Player of the Month
Calgary, AB - The Western Hockey League announced today that Medicine Hat Tigers captain James Hamblin has been named the WHL McSweeney's Player of the Month for November 2019.
Hamblin recorded 24 points (11G-13A) and a plus-11 in 12 games during November. With their captain leading them offensively, the Tigers went 9-3-0-0 during the calendar month, keeping them in the mix for the Central Division lead and among the league's best.
The 20-year-old product of Edmonton, Alta. recorded points in nine of 12 games during the month with eight multi-point efforts. Hamblin had one four-point effort and five three-point performances.
As part of those performances, Hamblin recorded four multi-goal games, including the first hat trick of his WHL career on November 2, 2019, against the Victoria Royals. During the month, Hamblin was recognized as the WHL On the Run Player of the Week for the week ending November 10, 2019.
Hamblin was recognized as the first star of the game on five separate occasions, also begin named the second star of the game once. He was also recognized as the WHL's second star of the night twice.
The 5-foot-10, 181-pound forward is enjoying a strong overage season in the WHL. In 26 games, Hamblin has recorded 41 points (17G-24A), including four power-play goals, one short-handed goal, and three game-winning goals. He ranks second in WHL scoring, is tied for second in assists and is tied for fifth in goals.
In 287 WHL regular season games, Hamblin has 233 points (96G-137A), including 30 power-play goals, 11 short-handed goals, and 16 game-winning goals. He's also appeared in 17 WHL playoff games, recording 12 points (7G-5A), including one power-play goal and two short-handed goals. The Tigers chosen Hamblin 17th overall in the 2014 WHL Bantam Draft.
Hamblin and the Tigers return to action on Tuesday, December 3 (7:00 p.m. MT) when they host the Lethbridge Hurricanes at the Canalta Centre.
WHL McSweeney's Player of the Month
November: James Hamblin, Medicine Hat Tigers
September/October: Connor Zary, Kamloops Blazers
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 3, 2019
- TSN Hockey Insider to Headline Sportsman's Dinner - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Basran named to Vaughn CHL Team of the Week - Kelowna Rockets
- Reinhardt & Basran Named to Vaughn CHL Team of the Week - WHL
- Details Announced for Superhero Night Presented by Recycle Everywhere - Winnipeg Ice
- Rebels Sophomore Forward Melin a Promising Work in Progress - Red Deer Rebels
- Hofer Named WHL Goaltender of the Month - Portland Winterhawks
- Tigers' Hamblin Named WHL McSweeney's Player of the Month - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winterhawks' Hofer Named WHL Vaughn Goaltender of the Month - WHL
- Tigers' Hamblin Named WHL McSweeney's Player of the Month - WHL
- Chiefs' Hughes Named WHL Rookie of the Month - Spokane Chiefs
- Chiefs' Hughes Named WHL Rookie of the Month - WHL
- Game Day Hub: December 3 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 27 vs Lethbridge - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Preview: Broncos Head East Looking for Better Manitoba Swing - Swift Current Broncos
- Cole Reinhardt Named TELUS Wheat King Player of the Month - Brandon Wheat Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Medicine Hat Tigers Stories
- Tigers Bested 4-2 by Oil Kings
- Game 44 at Edmonton
- Tigers Storm Hurricanes 6-2
- Game 43 vs Lethbridge
- 2020 Skills Competition Brought to You by A&W Recap