Chiefs' Hughes Named WHL Rookie of the Month
December 3, 2019 - Western Hockey League (WHL) News Release
Calgary, Alta. - The Western Hockey League announced today that forward Bear Hughes of the Spokane Chiefs has been named WHL Rookie of the Month for November 2019.
A 'C'-rated prospect for the 2020 NHL Draft, Hughes recorded 12 points (5G-7A) and a plus-12 rating in 12 games during November. The Chiefs went 7-3-2-0 in the calendar month, remaining in third place in the competitive U.S. Division.
During the month of November, Hughes recorded points in eight of his team's 12 games, posting four multi-point efforts. The final point of the month for the Port Falls, Idaho product was an assist on the game-winning goal in overtime against the Victoria Royals Saturday night.
Throughout November, Hughes was recognized as the first star of the game and third star of the game once.
The 6-foot-1, 165-pound forward has posted 20 points (10G-10A), including one power-play goal, in 22 WHL games during the 2019-20 WHL Regular Season. Originally listed by the Chiefs, Hughes has posted 22 points (12G-10A) in 24 WHL regular season games, including one power-play goal. He's also appeared in three WHL playoff games.
Hughes and the Chiefs are in action Tuesday, December 3 (7:05 p.m. PT) when they play host to the Seattle Thunderbirds at the Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena.
WHL Rookie of the Month
November: Bear Hughes, Spokane Chiefs
September/October: Cole Sillinger, Medicine Hat Tigers
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 3, 2019
- TSN Hockey Insider to Headline Sportsman's Dinner - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Basran named to Vaughn CHL Team of the Week - Kelowna Rockets
- Reinhardt & Basran Named to Vaughn CHL Team of the Week - WHL
- Details Announced for Superhero Night Presented by Recycle Everywhere - Winnipeg Ice
- Rebels Sophomore Forward Melin a Promising Work in Progress - Red Deer Rebels
- Hofer Named WHL Goaltender of the Month - Portland Winterhawks
- Tigers' Hamblin Named WHL McSweeney's Player of the Month - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winterhawks' Hofer Named WHL Vaughn Goaltender of the Month - WHL
- Tigers' Hamblin Named WHL McSweeney's Player of the Month - WHL
- Chiefs' Hughes Named WHL Rookie of the Month - Spokane Chiefs
- Chiefs' Hughes Named WHL Rookie of the Month - WHL
- Game Day Hub: December 3 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 27 vs Lethbridge - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Preview: Broncos Head East Looking for Better Manitoba Swing - Swift Current Broncos
- Cole Reinhardt Named TELUS Wheat King Player of the Month - Brandon Wheat Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.