Winterhawks' Hofer Named WHL Vaughn Goaltender of the Month
December 3, 2019 - Western Hockey League (WHL) News Release
Calgary, Alta. - The Western Hockey League announced today that Joel Hofer of the Portland Winterhawks has been named the WHL Vaughn Goaltender of the Month for November 2019.
A prospect of the St. Louis Blues, Hofer played 685 minutes in the month of November, posting an 8-2-1-0 record, 1.75 goals-against average, 0.944 SV%, and one shutout. Hofer's strong month allowed the Winterhawks to move into a tie with the Everett Silvertips for first place in the U.S. Division. The Silvertips, Winterhawks, and Kamloops Blazers are all tied in the lead for the Western Conference with 35 points each.
Hofer's month saw him post his second shutout of the season and the sixth of his WHL career in a 22-save effort against the Saskatoon Blades. Appearing in 12 games, Hofer allowed one or fewer goals in eight of those contests. The 6-foot-5, 172-pound goaltender also went 6-0-1-0 on home ice, improving his home record to 10-0-1-0 this season.
At the start of the month, Hofer was recognized as the WHL Eli Wilson Goaltending Goaltender of the Week for the week ending November 3, 2019. He was also recognized as the first star of the game on six occasions throughout the month, also earning second star honours once. He was named the WHL's second star of the night once.
The 19-year-old product of Winnipeg, Man. was chosen by the Blues in the fourth round, 107th overall, of the 2018 NHL Draft. This season, Hofer has compiled a 16-4-1-1 record, 1.92 GAA, 0.935 SV%, and two shutouts in 23 games with Portland. Originally listed by the Swift Current Broncos, Hofer has appeared in 90 WHL regular season games between the Broncos and Winterhawks, posting a 39-36-4-3 record, 3.04 GAA, 0.914 SV%, and six shutouts.
Continuing a four-game road trip, Hofer and the Winterhawks will take to the ice on Tuesday, December 3 (8:00 p.m. PT) against the Prince George Cougars at the CN Centre.
WHL Vaughn Goaltender of the Month
November: Joel Hofer, Portland Winterhawks
September/October: Dustin Wolf, Everett Silvertips
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 3, 2019
- TSN Hockey Insider to Headline Sportsman's Dinner - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Basran named to Vaughn CHL Team of the Week - Kelowna Rockets
- Reinhardt & Basran Named to Vaughn CHL Team of the Week - WHL
- Details Announced for Superhero Night Presented by Recycle Everywhere - Winnipeg Ice
- Rebels Sophomore Forward Melin a Promising Work in Progress - Red Deer Rebels
- Hofer Named WHL Goaltender of the Month - Portland Winterhawks
- Tigers' Hamblin Named WHL McSweeney's Player of the Month - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winterhawks' Hofer Named WHL Vaughn Goaltender of the Month - WHL
- Tigers' Hamblin Named WHL McSweeney's Player of the Month - WHL
- Chiefs' Hughes Named WHL Rookie of the Month - Spokane Chiefs
- Chiefs' Hughes Named WHL Rookie of the Month - WHL
- Game Day Hub: December 3 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 27 vs Lethbridge - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Preview: Broncos Head East Looking for Better Manitoba Swing - Swift Current Broncos
- Cole Reinhardt Named TELUS Wheat King Player of the Month - Brandon Wheat Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.