Thunder place Cox on disabled list
(Portland, ME) - The Trenton Thunder, the Double-A affiliate of the New York Yankees, have announced that RHP J.B. Cox has been placed on the Disabled List and that RHP Eric Wordekemper has been added to the roster from the Charleston RiverDogs (A) of the South Atlantic League.
Cox just returned from being a member of Team USA at the COPABE Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Cuba. He helped the U.S. to a 1st Place finish and an automatic berth in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Cox appeared in three games for Team USA and allowed one run in 5.2 IP with 1 BB and 6 K's. With the Thunder in 2006, he was 6-2, 3 SV, and a 1.71 ERA in 41 games. Cox went 15 straight appearances without allowing a run (26.0 IP) between June 4th and July 23rd.
Cox entered the 2006 season rated as the #11 Prospect in the N.Y. Yankees system by Baseball America. He was drafted in the 2nd Round of the 2005 Draft from the University of Texas, where he helped the Longhroms to the 2005 NCAA Championship. Cox led NCAA Division I in saves (19) and recorded the final out in the 2005 College World Series Title game.
Wordekemper was selected by the N.Y. Yankees in the 46th Round of the 2005 Draft out of Creighton University. He appeared in 39 games for Charleston with a 4-3 record, 7 SV, and a 1.81 ERA. Wordekemper also pitched in one game for Columbus (AAA) and worked two shutout innings. At Creighton, Wordekemper helped the Bluejays to their first Missouri Valley Conference Title, going 6-0, 3.12 ERA in 2005. His last season with Creighton included a win over North Carolina State in the NCAA Regionals at Lincoln, NE. Wordekemper was 14-8 in three seasons with Creighton.
The Thunder play Game #4 of the Northern Division Championship Series against the Portland Sea Dogs tonight in Portland, ME. Portland leads the series 2-1. A win tonight for the Thunder is necessary if the series is to return to Waterfront Park for Game #5 on Sunday September 10th at 6:05 p.m. The Thunder Playoff Drive is presented by Hess and Hess Express. For ticket information call 609-394-3300 or order online at www.trentonthunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from September 9, 2006
- Sea Dogs advance to Eastern Legue Championship Series - Portland Sea Dogs
- Thunder season ends with "walkoff" loss to Sea Dogs - Trenton Thunder
- Curve force deciding Game 5 with 3-1 win over Aeros - Altoona Curve
- Thunder place Cox on disabled list - Trenton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- Welcome North Open House Set for Tuesday, April 2
- Trueno de Trenton to Play at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Opening Night Scarf, Rookie Travel Pillow Highlight 2019 Giveaways at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Yankees Name Patrick Osborn 2019 Thunder Manager
- Gift of Baseball Program Returns to Benefit Area Non-Profits