Throwing error in ninth breaks scoreless tie as Portland falls, 3-1
PORTLAND, Ore. - Andy Van Hekken and Cory Luebke took a pitcher's duel into the seventh inning before the Round Rock Express took advantage of an error to score three runs in the ninth to finish a four-game sweep of the Portland Beavers with a 3-1 win in front of 9,983 at PGE Park Friday night.
Round Rock's Van Hekken and Portland's Luebke matched one another zero-for-zero for six-and-a-half innings before turning it over to their respective bullpens. Each pitcher yielded just three hits while Van Hekken struck out six in seven innings and Luebke fanned one batter over six.
With runners on first and second in the ninth, Luis Perdomo (3-5) threw away Matt Kata's sacrifice bunt to bring in the game's first run. A wild pitch and a double brought in two more as the Beavers (48-79) lost their fifth straight game and fell a franchise-worst 31 games below .500.
German Duran had two hits and Edwin Maysonet hit an RBI double for the Express (54-73), who have swept Portland in each of the past two seasons and have won nine straight meetings between the clubs.
Chris Sampson (1-2) allowed a leadoff single in the eighth but kept Portland off the board for his first Triple-A win this season.
Round Rock took advantage of a pair of mistakes to finally break the scoreless tie in the top of the ninth. Drew Locke walked and Brian Bogusevic singled through the right side. Matt Kata laid down a sacrifice bunt and the pitcher Perdomo's throw sailed over Sean Kazmar's head at first base to score Locke. One pitch later, the Express doubled their lead as Bogusevic scored on a wild pitch. Perdomo recovered to strike out Collin DeLome but Maysonet doubled down the left field line to make it 3-0.
Roy Corcoran allowed an RBI single to pinch-hitter Kyle Phillips in the ninth but converted his ninth save in 11 attempts.
The Beavers start a 13-game road trip with a 7:05 p.m. (Pacific) game in Las Vegas Saturday night.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 21, 2010
- Royals Outscore Memphis in Series Opener - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sounds Drop Series Opener in Iowa, 4-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Round Rock Express Drop Opener to Oklahoma City 4-3 - Round Rock Express
- Aces Reveal 2011 Home Schedule - Reno Aces
- Royals Release 2011 Home Schedule - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa rallies late to top Sacramento - Sacramento River Cats
- Throwing error in ninth breaks scoreless tie as Portland falls, 3-1 - Portland Beavers
- Express Sweep Portland Beavers 3-1 - Round Rock Express
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss