Threshers Explode in 4th Inning, Defeat Mets 7-2
CLEARWATER, Fla. - The Clearwater Threshers used a six-run inning to defeat the St. Lucie Mets 7-2 on Monday at Spectrum Field.
The Threshers sent 10 men to the plate and scored six runs on seven hits in the fourth inning to pull away. The damage was done against Mets starter Tony Dibrell, who had not allowed more than four runs in any game he pitched all year.
Rodolfo Duran broke a 1-1 tie with a two-run double. An error and a sac fly pushed the Threshers lead to 5-1. Alec Bohm hit a RBI triple and Jhailyn Ortiz capped the inning with a RBI double to make it 7-1.
Alejandro Requena was credited with the win for Clearwater. He worked around seven hits and four walks in 4.1 innings. He surrendered two runs.
Threshers relievers Austin Ross and Zach Warren combined for 3.2 scoreless innings.
Philadelphia's Edubray Ramos (shoulder) made a rehab start for the Threshers. He struck out the side in his only inning.
Dibrell was charged with seven runs (six earned) on nine hits in 3.2 innings.
Mets relievers Carlos Hernandez and Marcel Renteria were sharp. They combined for 4.1 scoreless frames.
Jeremy Vasquez gave the Mets a brief 1-0 lead with a homer in the second inning. It was his fourth of the year.
Carlos Cortes provided the final run of the game, a RBI double in the fifth that cut the deficit to 7-2.
Mitch Ghelfi went 2 for 4 in the loss.
Duran went 3 for 4 with two RBI and two runs for Clearwater.
The Mets are 0-4 on their current road trip and have been outscored 19-4.
The Mets (30-33) and Threshers (35-28) play the second game of their four-game series at Spectrum Field on Tuesday. First pitch is scheduled for 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from June 10, 2019
- Offensive Outburst Leads Clearwater over St. Lucie in Series-Opening Win - Clearwater Threshers
- Stone Crabs Score Seven to Stun Marauders 7-6 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Threshers Explode in 4th Inning, Defeat Mets 7-2 - St. Lucie Mets
- Late Rally Leads Daytona Past Lakeland, 4-3 - Daytona Tortugas
- Nothing to Show for 10 Hits as Tarpons Fall, 1-0 - Tampa Tarpons
- Jeffers Goes Deep, Enlow Shines In Relief - Fort Myers Miracle
- Fire Frogs and Blue Jays Banged on Belly Buster Monday - Florida Fire Frogs
- Stone Crabs Game Notes - Mon, June 10 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Fire Frogs Home Stand Highlights: -6/13 - Florida Fire Frogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.