Three Points: Dash Visit Orlando Pride for Final Match of 2020 Verizon Community Shield on Friday
HOUSTON - The Houston Dash will look claim the top spot at the 2020 Verizon Community Shield this Friday as they take on Orlando Pride for the club's finale at 4 p.m. CT at Osceola County Stadium. Tomorrow's game is the last of four for the Dash in the Verizon Community Shield after earning two victories with ten goals in three matches played against the Pride and North Carolina Courage. The match will be televised live on CBS Sports Network and stream on the NWSL channel on Twitch.
Dash head coach James Clarkson led the Dash to the first league title in club history earlier this summer when they won the NWSL Challenge Cup. Tomorrow evening, Houston will look to capture the final victory of the Fall series to earn one of the top three spots in the league standings.
"I think if we can get a win and get onto nine points, it gives us a good opportunity to win us the whole thing. If not, I think we will get second, so there's still plenty for us to play for. The players are excited and committed, and they can't wait to play," James said.
The team with the most points at the end of the Fall Series will be awarded the Verizon Community Shield and the opportunity to present a grant of $25,000 to their community partner, made possible by Verizon. Additionally, $15,000 and $10,000 will be presented to the second and third-place teams, respectively.
WHO: Houston Dash vs. Orlando Pride
WHAT: Final Dash match of the 2020 NWSL Fall Series
WHEN: Friday, Oct. 9 - 4:00 p.m. CDT
TV/STREAM: CBS Sports Network and NWSL channel on Twitch
Here are three points ahead of Friday's game:
1. FINISHING ON A HIGH - The Dash will look to end their 2020 campaign on a high this weekend, seeking to claim the first spot in the standings with a victory against Orlando after defeating the Pride 3-1 in the team's first home match of the year. Houston, in the club's most successful year, has scored 10 goals in the last three games of the 2020 Verizon Community Cup. The Dash captured their first league title in club history on July 26 when they brought home the NWSL Challenge Cup and looks to earn the final victory on Friday to try to bring home the 2020 Verizon Community Shield.
2. CAMPBELL, GROOM & MEWIS STEP UP - During the Fall series, co-captain Jane Campbell has led the team to earn two wins in three games played. In those three games, midfielders Shea Groom and Kristie Mewis have scored three combined goals and tallied four assists, also helping Houston capture their first-ever victory against North Carolina Courage, 4-1 on Oct. 3. The strong performance of the trio has earned them a call-up to the U.S. Women's National Team camp in October, U.S. Soccer and the club announced earlier today.
3. WINNING FOR NAACP - A victory for the Dash on Friday would help them earn one of the three prizes from the Verizon Community Shield. Each of the NWSL's nine clubs partnered with programs in their community for the chance to earning an award for a beneficiary of their choice. The Dash partnered with the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) Houston as the beneficiary. "For us, something as simple as voting rights or the racial biases in the business world - things that are little but can make an impact. We really wanted to help get rid of that and create change. The NAACP, to us, is going to do that. They're a great organization to support and to play for," said Campbell.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from October 8, 2020
- Three Points: Dash Visit Orlando Pride for Final Match of 2020 Verizon Community Shield on Friday - Houston Dash
- Six Chicago Red Stars Called up to U.S. WNT Camp - Chicago Red Stars
- Balcer Called in to USWNT October Camp - OL Reign
- Bledsoe, Hatch, Sanchez Called up to First USWNT Camp Since March - Washington Spirit
- Sky Blue FC Defender Midge Purce Named to U.S. Women's National Team October Training Camp Roster - Sky Blue FC
- Orlando Pride to Represent Parramore Kidz Zone in 2020 Verizon Community Shield - Orlando Pride
- Orlando Pride Takes on Houston Dash on Friday - Orlando Pride
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dash Stories
- Houston Dynamo Football Club and Houston Dash Unveil New Club Initiatives, Brand Identity and Primary Badges
- Dash and Head Coach James Clarkson agree to new contract
- Dash FW Rachel Daly Called up by England for October Friendly vs. Germany
- Dash close NWSL Fall Series with 2-1 win over Orlando Pride
- Three Points: Dash Visit Orlando Pride for Final Match of 2020 Verizon Community Shield on Friday