Thomas Swats 9th Inning Home Run, Travs Escape with 3-2 Win
North Little Rock, AR - CF Lane Thomas led off the ninth inning with a solo home run, but the Arkansas Travelers escaped with a 3-2 win at Dickey-Stephens Park on Wednesday night.
Arkansas (10-7, 45-42) struck early with a pair of two-out homers against RHP Anthony Shew (L, 4-5). With one on and two away, CF Braden Bishop swatted a two-run blast in the third, followed an inning later by a solo home run from LF Dario Pizzano in the fourth to make it 3-0.
That was all Shew allowed, however, as the right-hander rattled off 10 straight outs to close his night with just the three runs on five hits and six strikeouts in seven innings.
Meanwhile, the Cardinals (5-14, 38-51) got on the board against RHP Nathan Bannister (W, 6-5) in the top of the sixth. SS Tommy Edman led off with his second walk of the night, before racing all the way home on an RBI double from 2B Ramon Urias that extended his hitting streak to 10 games and shaved the Cardinals deficit to 3-1.
After Travs RHP David McKay tossed a pair of scoreless innings in the seventh and eighth, the Cardinals had one last charge in the ninth against RHP Matt Festa (S, 12). CF Lane Thomas opened the inning with a solo home run crushed inside the left field line, his 16th blast and his organization-leading 57th RBI of the year. On the very next pitch, LF Victor Roache drilled a fly ball back to the short wall in right field that appeared to be home run distance, but was caught up against the fence by RF Chuck Taylor, keeping Arkansas ahead by a run. Festa then dug in with consecutive outs, and the Travs hung on for the 3-2 win.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Naturals Overpowered by Drillers - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Drillers Blast Four Homers in Big Win - Tulsa Drillers
- Thursday's Riders Game Postponed - Frisco RoughRiders
- Carlos Martinez Bobbleheads, Dogs at the Ballpark this Homestand - Springfield Cardinals
- Drillers Home July 15-18 for Brief Homestand - Tulsa Drillers
- Riders Take Game 1 from Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Thomas Swats 9th Inning Home Run, Travs Escape with 3-2 Win - Springfield Cardinals
- Two Homers Give Travs Homestand Opening Win - Arkansas Travelers
- Seven-Run Fourth Secures Naturals Win - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Hooks Hammer Hounds in Series Opener - Corpus Christi Hooks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Cardinals Stories
- Family Christmas Photos with Louie Claus in the Cardinals Clubhouse
- This Week Only: Holiday Membership Special
- Cardinals Thanksgiving Food Drive Begins Today
- Cardinals Home White Autographed Jersey Auction Starts Today
- Cardinals Home White Autographed Jersey Auction Starts Monday