The American Basketball Association to play games with Continental Basketball Association
The oldest professional basketball league on record, the Continental Basketball Association (CBA) and the American Basketball Association (ABA) will play regular season games between the leagues. The Kentucky Bisons Owensboro's ABA expansion team will be playing the first home game against the Eastern Kentucky Coal Miners of the CBA. The game will be played on December 11th at 7:00 PM at the SportsCenter in Owensboro and will be a "history maker". This historic partnership that was recently finalized, the Continental Basketball Association (CBA) teams have agreed to play teams from the American Basketball Association (ABA) during the 2008-09 regular season and Kentucky is the state that will kick things off. The Bisons roster is made up of players who all have ties to the state of Kentucky. The miners have several also including the legendary University of Kentucky Wildcat Wayne Turner.
The Kentucky Bisons have been involved with the community and will be asking everyone to help remember our veterans by bringing in signed, sealed, and addressed Christmas cards to home games. These cards will be sorted and delivered to area facilities by the Owensboro Convention & Visitors Bureau. Cards can be addressed to "An Honored Veteran", "An American Hero", or in any other manner people wish to use to show their respect for these men and women. The cards can be handmade or store-bought and dropped where designated at all home through December 18th.
Note: OurSports Central no longer actively covers the American Basketball Association (ABA) as a professional league due in part to its inability to publish and play a schedule and the transitory nature of many of its teams. For information on professional minor leagues, please see OSC's basketball section.
• Discuss this story on the American Basketball Association message board...
American Basketball Association Stories from December 8, 2008
- The American Basketball Association to play games with Continental Basketball Association - Kentucky Bisons
- Potential ABA MVP Reinhardt to enter 2009 All-Star Slam-Dunk,3-point contest - Georgia Gwizzlies
- Washington Raptors Lose Home Opener - Washington-Fresno Raptors
- West Virginia Blazers Partner With Local Media - West Virginia Blazers
- Gwizzlies make final cut - Georgia Gwizzlies
- Georgia Gwizzlies 2008-09 Roster announced - Georgia Gwizzlies
- Showboats win opener - Texas Fuel
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Mustangs Split Weekend Homestand - Southeast Texas Mavericks
- South Texas Showboats Win Again, 94-93 - Texas Fuel
- Salt Lake City Saints debut with 128-98 Win in Modesto - Salt Lake City Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.