Showboats win opener
The (4)South Texas Showboats and the (22)West Texas Whirlwinds played in a very exciting, entertaining, and emotional game in the ABA season-opener in San Antonio last night. The Showboats began their regular 2008-2009 season by coming in and beating the Whirlwinds 101-91. However, they did it during a hard fought battle between both teams. Coach Mireles said that this was a very dissapointing performance and they need to be more agressive. "We did not do our jobs tonight but I will take the win. We played very poorly on both sides of the basketball and were beat up on the boards. We need to control the tempo of our games because we played the tempo of our opponent" said Mireles(Head Coach). The Whirlwinds came into San Antonio hoping to steal the first game of the season and played very well throughout the game. "I give coach Phelps and his team credit where credit is due. They played us tough tonight and welcomed us to the ABA. They have some good players and I am just happy the first jitters are behind us." The Showboats had a great first half by taking a 54-48 lead into the locker room. With Kenny Wilson, former John Jay and Boise State standout, having 16 first half points on 5-7 shooting and Isaiah Allen, a former UTSA Roadrunner with 16 first half points on 7-10 shooting. But of course the Whirlwinds came in with a great 3rd quater holding the Showboats to a mere 18 points as 8 of the 18 came from Keith Simpson, former Robert E. Lee graduate. Then as the 3rd quater came to a close the Whirlwinds tied the game at 75-75 going into the 4th quater. "The momentum was shifted in this game in our favor and we should have finished the game strong. We need to play Whirlwind basketball and not give the momentumm back said coach Phelps. " I was very pleased with the Showboats organization and how they treated us in San Antonio. It started with greetings at the door and felt that this was one of the best games I have been apart of in my 4 years of being in the ABA. They did a great job and we look forward to a great year of basketball against this team." The Showboats shot 56% from the field while the Whirlwinds shot 54% for the game as the Showboats had help from the free throw line shooting a huge 28-36 from the stripe.
Stand out players For the Showboats were as follows:
Frank Ford - 80%fg - 4-5 - 11pts, 5 reb, 3asst, 2 blks Isaiah Allen - 66% fg - 8/13 - 19 pts, 2-4 - 3pt fg, 4asst, 7 reb Keith Simpson - 66%fg - 8/13 - 18pts, 5 reb Kenny Wilson - 63%fg - 5-8 - 23pts , 12-13ft, 3 asst.
Visit the Showoats website at www.saproball.com for more info.
Note: OurSports Central no longer actively covers the American Basketball Association (ABA) as a professional league due in part to its inability to publish and play a schedule and the transitory nature of many of its teams. For information on professional minor leagues, please see OSC's basketball section.
• Discuss this story on the American Basketball Association message board...
American Basketball Association Stories from December 8, 2008
- The American Basketball Association to play games with Continental Basketball Association - Kentucky Bisons
- Potential ABA MVP Reinhardt to enter 2009 All-Star Slam-Dunk,3-point contest - Georgia Gwizzlies
- Washington Raptors Lose Home Opener - Washington-Fresno Raptors
- West Virginia Blazers Partner With Local Media - West Virginia Blazers
- Gwizzlies make final cut - Georgia Gwizzlies
- Georgia Gwizzlies 2008-09 Roster announced - Georgia Gwizzlies
- Showboats win opener - Texas Fuel
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Mustangs Split Weekend Homestand - Southeast Texas Mavericks
- South Texas Showboats Win Again, 94-93 - Texas Fuel
- Salt Lake City Saints debut with 128-98 Win in Modesto - Salt Lake City Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.