Washington Raptors Lose Home Opener
Rochester, WA. The ABA Washington Raptors were served up their first loss of the 2008-2009 season by the visiting San Francisco Rumble on Saturday night at Rochester High School. Lewis Lofton, player/coach for the Raptors scored nine points in the first quarter. However, the Rumble ended the quarter up by four, 29-25.
The second quarter did not improve for the Raptors as the Rumble added 25, the Raptors 19 to go into halftime at 54-44.
Both teams got fired up in the third quarter with Jalonta Martin scoring 10 for the Raptors, but Rumble guard, Taquane Franklin brought in 14 leading his teammates to an 88-77 third quarter lead. Martin was the high scorer again in the fourth quarter with 12 more points. Marlon Mahorn of the Raptors was the only player of the night taking advantage of the ABA 3-D player with a four pointer as the Raptors cut the lead to four before the Rumble went on to win 123-109.
Leading scorers for the Raptors included Martin 31 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists. Brenden Campbell 16 points, 2 rebounds; Ellis Kidd, Jr 15 points; Lofton 11 points and Julien Franklin 11 points.
Rumble leading scorers were Franklin with 33, Dante Sawyer with 21, Derek Foster with 20, Lincoln Smith with 19 and Ian Bey with 13. For more information, visit www.washingtonraptors.com or www.abalive.com.
Note: OurSports Central no longer actively covers the American Basketball Association (ABA) as a professional league due in part to its inability to publish and play a schedule and the transitory nature of many of its teams. For information on professional minor leagues, please see OSC's basketball section.
• Discuss this story on the American Basketball Association message board...
American Basketball Association Stories from December 8, 2008
- The American Basketball Association to play games with Continental Basketball Association - Kentucky Bisons
- Potential ABA MVP Reinhardt to enter 2009 All-Star Slam-Dunk,3-point contest - Georgia Gwizzlies
- Washington Raptors Lose Home Opener - Washington-Fresno Raptors
- West Virginia Blazers Partner With Local Media - West Virginia Blazers
- Gwizzlies make final cut - Georgia Gwizzlies
- Georgia Gwizzlies 2008-09 Roster announced - Georgia Gwizzlies
- Showboats win opener - Texas Fuel
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Mustangs Split Weekend Homestand - Southeast Texas Mavericks
- South Texas Showboats Win Again, 94-93 - Texas Fuel
- Salt Lake City Saints debut with 128-98 Win in Modesto - Salt Lake City Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.