South Texas Showboats Win Again, 94-93
San Antonio, TX. The ABA South Texas Showboats, 4-0 in pre-season, are now 2-0 in the regular season with a strong defensive stand at the end of the game. The #12 ranked Southeast Texas Mustangs battled this one out to the wire as both teams went in unbeaten The Showboats came out strong in the first quarter and immediately went up 24-9 before the Mustangs finally called a timeout to gather the team. As the Mustangs returned to the floor, they rallied back within 4 by the end of the first quarter. This is where the battle began.
The Mustangs outscored the Showboats 28-14 in the second quarter, but the Showboatrs, who were down by as many as 19 at one point, went into the locker room down by ten with a run of their own. "This is a game of re-structure and pressure. We had to execute on the floor and we didn't do a good job of rotating," said coach Mireles.
The third quarter was very interesting as the Mustangs came out and pushed their 10 point lead to 21 very quickly. The Showboats had to continue fighting their way back constantly. The Showboats had a tough time with match-ups all night long but came out and started to put pressure on the Mustangs defensively and closed the third quarter at 71-56.
This is where the Showboats began their comeback. They started the fourth quarter with a small run of their own breaking down the Mustangs lead to 6. "We had struggled most of the game with our defense and that is why we were in the position we were," added Mireles. "My team was lacking poise and defense and I had to put some guys out on the floor that were going to give me what I needed. I have a good bench and therefore can utilize any players at any time.
The Showboats lost the momentum with about 4:30 to go in the game when they were back down by as many as 15. Coach Mireles then started to bring guys off the bench who ended up bringing in energy and the defense he was looking for. The Showboats came back to win 94-93. It went down to the wire with the winning shot being a free throw by Jamar Chatman with .6 seconds to go. "I know we have a good team but we need to be more assertive with our play defensively and be more productive on both ends of the floor," stated Chatman. "As for the free throws, I know I missed the first, but I knew I wasn't going to mss the second. We should have put pressure on them all night and pushed the ball, but we didn't. I give the Mustangs a lot of credit and respect. They are a great organization and ran very well. They have some good players and I am just glad to come out with a win," said Mireles. For more information, visit www.saproball.com or www.abalive.com.
Note: OurSports Central no longer actively covers the American Basketball Association (ABA) as a professional league due in part to its inability to publish and play a schedule and the transitory nature of many of its teams. For information on professional minor leagues, please see OSC's basketball section.
• Discuss this story on the American Basketball Association message board...
American Basketball Association Stories from December 8, 2008
- The American Basketball Association to play games with Continental Basketball Association - Kentucky Bisons
- Potential ABA MVP Reinhardt to enter 2009 All-Star Slam-Dunk,3-point contest - Georgia Gwizzlies
- Washington Raptors Lose Home Opener - Washington-Fresno Raptors
- West Virginia Blazers Partner With Local Media - West Virginia Blazers
- Gwizzlies make final cut - Georgia Gwizzlies
- Georgia Gwizzlies 2008-09 Roster announced - Georgia Gwizzlies
- Showboats win opener - Texas Fuel
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Mustangs Split Weekend Homestand - Southeast Texas Mavericks
- South Texas Showboats Win Again, 94-93 - Texas Fuel
- Salt Lake City Saints debut with 128-98 Win in Modesto - Salt Lake City Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.