Tennessee Valley wins over Florida
The arenafotball2 (af2) Florida Firecats dropped their sixth straight to the Tennessee Valley Vipers 56-39 at Germain Arena. With the win the Vipers held firm to the second seed in the American Conference playoff standings. The Firecats remain the eight seed despite the loss.
Florida took the early 13-7 lead thanks to a pair of Justin Midgett touchdown passes in the 1st quarter. Midgett got his first start at home in place of an injured Chris Wallace, who missed his second straight game. He finished the night 28 of 50 for 278 yards and four touchdowns. He also threw two interceptions.
Tennessee Valley took a 14-13 lead in the 2nd quarter when QB Kevin Eakin found Larry Shipp for the second of their four touchdown hookups. The Vipers would never relinquish the lead from that point on.
Florida finished the night 2 of 11 on third down and 5 of 8 on fourth down. DB James McCoy provided a spark on defense and special teams finishing the night with seven tackles and had a 54 yard kick return for a touchdown.
The Firecats host the Kentucky Horsemen in the final week of the regular season on July 25th. The Vipers host the South Georgia Wildcats next week.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 18, 2009
- Wings down Corpus Christi - Corpus Christi Sharks
- Wildcats win over Boise Burn - South Georgia Wildcats
- Tennessee Valley wins over Florida - Alabama Vipers
- Birds Fall In Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 49-40 - Albany Firebirds
- Horsemen take care of Peoria to win fifth straight - Kentucky Horsemen
- Game Preview (week 17): Stockton Lightning At Amarillo Dusters - Stockton Lightning
- Superman Rides Into Sunset With A Win - Green Bay Blizzard
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.