Horsemen take care of Peoria to win fifth straight
Justin Rascati threw for two touchdowns and ran for another two against his former team, and the Kentucky Horsemen won their fifth straight game by knocking off Peoria 43-34 in Rupp Arena Saturday night.
Kentucky has now won seven of their last eight games, and finished the regular season with a 7-1 home record. With the loss, Peoria was eliminated from playoff contention, as the Pirates needed wins in their final two games to earn the final spot in the American Conference bracket.
The game was a change of pace from the first meeting, when the two teams combined for the third most points in AF2 history in a 93-72 Kentucky win in Peoria on May 2. The Horsemen have now won three straight against the Pirates dating back to last year.
Rascati led the way for Kentucky with 138 yards passing to go along with 33 yards rushing. Harry Lewis led all Horsemen receivers with seven catches for 105 yards and two touchdowns, and Jared Lorenzen chimed in with 112 yards and two touchdowns passing. William Mulder, who led the league in interception return yards entering the game, snagged his 10th interception of the year in the first quarter.
Kent Smith threw for 229 yards and four touchdowns in a losing effort for Peoria. Bri Allbrooks had nine catches for 156 yards and three touchdowns, and Dante Ridgeway brought in six catches for 58 yards and a touchdown.
The Horsemen return to action next Saturday as they hit the road to take on division rival Florida. Kickoff is slated for 7:00 p.m. EST and will be carried live on Supertalk 96.1 with Gary Ball and Randy Wilson.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 18, 2009
- Wings down Corpus Christi - Corpus Christi Sharks
- Wildcats win over Boise Burn - South Georgia Wildcats
- Tennessee Valley wins over Florida - Alabama Vipers
- Birds Fall In Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 49-40 - Albany Firebirds
- Horsemen take care of Peoria to win fifth straight - Kentucky Horsemen
- Game Preview (week 17): Stockton Lightning At Amarillo Dusters - Stockton Lightning
- Superman Rides Into Sunset With A Win - Green Bay Blizzard
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.