Tarantulas drop Eagles in shootout
The Topeka Tarantulas burst onto the ice for a physical battle against the Colorado Eagles Saturday night that would take extra periods to decide a winner, ending in a 3-2 shootout victory for the Eight-leggers.
In the first period, the Tarantulas made several big hits and put 17 shots on Eagle goalie Tyler Weiman, landing two behind him to take a 2-0 lead into the locker room. Tarantula rookie forward Mike Lukajic opened the scoring at 7:26, picking up a loose puck in the faceoff circle and slamming it past Weiman for his fourth tally of the season. Another rookie Spider, Vin Hellemeyer, netted Topeka's second goal, his third of the season, off a rebound from Cosmo Dupaul.
"I thought we played the best first period of the season for us so far," said Topeka Head Coach Joe Coombs. "What happened after that, I don't know."
Tarantula goalie Dwayne Bateman was tested in the second period, but was unable to stop Colorado forward Greg Pankewicz, who scored on both his second period shots. Pankewicz's first goal came on the power play at 7:49 and his second with a man down at 11:07, giving him six goals in five games this season.
With neither team able to score in the third period or in overtime, the game went to a shootout. The newest Tarantula, Lukas Dora "the Scora," scored on the first Topeka shot of the shootout and Topeka's goal leader Tab Lardner sealed it by putting it past Weiman in the fourth shootout slot. Bateman stopped 28 of 30 Colorado shots and all four in the shootout to earn his first career shootout win.
The Arachnids take the ice again at 7:05 p.m. Wednesday in the latest chapter of the Turnpike Tussle, taking on the in-state rival Wichita Thunder in Landon Arena for college night. All college students with a valid student I.D. will receive $2 off a regular-priced ticket.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 21, 2004
- Barnes & Bats Blank Bucks, 2-0 - Laredo Bucks
- Rayz complete perfect week - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Rayz swat Bees in OT - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Tarantulas drop Eagles in shootout - Topeka Tarantulas
- Brahmas make it six in a row with win over Gorillas - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Tarantulas beat Eagles in shootout, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Bucks Hammer RiverKings 5-1 - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings struggle on power play, wrap up road trip with loss - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bees Comeback Bid Falls Short in OT to Corpus Christi - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.