Syracuse Crunch Weekly
Fri., Feb. 2 - Crunch at Utica - L, 3-1
Sat., Feb. 3 - Crunch vs. Utica - L, 4-2
Fri., Feb. 9 - Crunch vs. Hartford - 7 p.m.
Sat., Feb. 10 - Crunch vs. Laval - 7 p.m.
Sun., Feb. 11 - Crunch at Bridgeport - 5 p.m.
Crunch beaten twice out of All-Star Break
Syracuse lost their first two games after the All-Star Break in Week 18, falling twice to the Utica Comets in a home-and-home series. The Crunch sank to 26-17-2-2 and fell to fourth in the North Division for the first time since Dec. 2. They still have a 14-point cushion for the final playoff spot over the Belleville Senators.
Syracuse opened the week with a 3-1 setback to the Comets at the Adirondack Bank Center. The Crunch hit a post in the final minute of regulation and Utica promptly scored into an empty net to seal the win. In the final game of the home-and-home, the Crunch built a 2-0 lead, but the Comets scored twice in 16 seconds to tie the game in the second period. They scored two more in the third to take a 4-2 win to leapfrog the Crunch in the standings.
Syracuse prepares for its second three-in-three weekend of the season, hosting Hartford and Laval Friday and Saturday before beginning a five-game road trip in Bridgeport Sunday.
Rookie forward Dennis Yan returned from an injury and was the only Crunch player to record points in both games in Week 18. He scored the only Crunch goal Friday in Utica then picked up an assist on the opening goal Saturday.
Yan, 20, has 10 points (5g, 5a) over nine games since Dec. 27; he has also missed eight games with an injury over that span. He has 17 points (8g, 9a) in 28 games this season.
? ? ?
Alex Volkov and Olivier Archambault scored the other two Crunch goals in Week 18. Archambault netted the game's first goal Saturday and Volkov gave the Crunch a 2-0 lead with a second-period marker.
Volkov, 20, has two goals in the last three games and has 27 points (13g, 14a) in 46 games. Archambault has three points (2g, 1a) in five games since joining the Crunch on a PTO Jan. 23.
Bournival back from Lightning
Forward Michael Bournival has been reassigned to the Crunch by the Tampa Bay Lightning. He has missed the last five Crunch games since being recalled by Tampa Bay Jan. 22, his first recall of the season.
The 25-year-old winger was second on the Crunch in scoring at the time of his recall with 27 points (13g, 14a) in 40 games; he is now tied for fifth on the team. In his four games with the Lightning, Bournival had five shots on goal, but did not record a point.
Pasquale joins Crunch
The Tampa Bay Lightning acquired goaltender Eddie Pasquale Wednesday from the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for future considerations. Pasquale was then assigned to the Crunch.
The 27-year-old goaltender has spent the season with the Bakersfield Condors, posting a 6-5-4 record, 2.60 goals-against average and a .910 save percentage in 16 games. He made his Crunch debut Friday in Utica, appearing for just 12 seconds during a temporary goalie swap. In his career with St. John's, Grand Rapids and Bakersfield, Pasquale has 100 career wins.
Upcoming: Hartford, Laval, Bridgeport
The Crunch play their second three-in-three weekend set with matches against Hartford, Laval and Bridgeport. Syracuse has four three-in-three sets this season, one in March and one in April.
Friday, the Crunch host the Wolf Pack for the only time this season. Syracuse defeated Hartford, 3-2, in their first match at XL Center Jan. 6, rallying from a 2-1 deficit with two goals in less than two minutes late in the second period. The Wolf Pack (21-20-4-3) enter the week with points in their last seven games (6-0-1-0) to leap back into the playoff race in the Atlantic Division with 49 points.
Laval comes to the War Memorial Arena Saturday night for the second of four times this season. The Rocket have three wins in the series while the Crunch have two; Syracuse won the last match, 3-2, at Place Bell Jan. 24. The Rocket (17-23-5-2) have lost four straight to drop to sixth in the North Division with 41 points. Chris Terry (2g, 3a) and Matt Taormina (1g, 4a) are tied for the team lead in the series with five points. After Saturday, the teams still have two matchups in March.
The Crunch wrap up their three games in three nights with their first game against the Sound Tigers. It'll be the first time the Crunch see former goaltender Kristers Gudlevskis while the game marks the return to Bridgeport for Carter Verhaeghe. The two were traded for each other July 1. The Sound Tigers (23-17-4-2) enter the week as the final playoff team in the Atlantic.
Week 18 Results
Friday, February 2 | Game 46 at Utica | L, 3-1
Syracuse 0 1 0 - 1 Shots: 11-7-10-28 PP: 0/3
Utica 0 2 1 - 3 Shots: 14-13-10-37 PP: 2/6
2nd Period-Yan 8 (Stephens), 19:13. . . . Ingram 12-8-2 (36 shots-34 saves). A-3,917
Saturday, February 3 | Game 47 vs. Utica | L, 4-2
Utica 0 2 2 - 4 Shots: 7-6-11-24 PP: 1/4
Syracuse 1 1 0 - 2 Shots: 7-22-7-36 PP: 0/3
1st Period-Archambault 4 (Yan, Condra), 17:14. 2nd Period-Volkov 13 (McNeill, McBain), 15:34. . . . Ingram 12-9-2 (23 shots-20 saves). A-6,177
Category Average/Total AHL Rank (Prev)
Power Play 15.5% (34-for-220) 20th (17th)
Penalty Kill 84.7% (208-for-246) 9th (7th)
Goals For 3.21 GFA (151) 10th (5th)
Goals Against 2.72 GAA (128) 6th (5th)
Shots For 29.98 SF/G (1409) 17th (16th)
Shots Against 26.13 SA/G (1228) 2nd (1st)
Penalty Minutes 16.43 PIM/G (772) 3rd (3rd)
Points 31 Peca, Joseph
Goals 16 Stephens
Assists 23 Peca, Joseph
PIM 137 Gallant
Plus/Minus +23 Cernak
Wins 12 Ingram
GAA 2.20 Domingue
Save % 0.917 Domingue
Single game tickets and packages are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 6, 2018
- Amerks Release Defenseman Conor Allen - Rochester Americans
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- Ozzy Osbourne Announces "No More Tours 2" to Kick off in Allentown on August 30 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Return to the Van for Three Games - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Comets Release Goaltender Mitch Gillam from PTO - Utica Comets
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Michael Bournival to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Annual Season Ticket Members Skate Slated for Tuesday, February 13 at Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Weekly - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Live Condor Returns on Friday - Bakersfield Condors
- Weekly: Penguins Establish Eight-Game Home Win Streak, Now Hit the Road for Four in a Row - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Oak Park Ice Arena Moves on to Second Round of Voting in Light Like the Pros Contest - Stockton Heat
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- F Steven Swavely, F Alex Krushelnyski Returned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- The Bridgeport Report - Week 18 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Poison, Cheap Trick and Pop Evil Join Forces for U.S. Summer Tour, Coming to PPL Center on June 24 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Comets Sign Tony Cameranesi to PTO, Release David Dziurzynski - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Syracuse Crunch to Host Pink in the Rink Presented by Upstate Cancer Center February 23
- Crunch Edged by Amerks, 3-2, in Six-Round Shootout
- Crunch Shutout Americans, 1-0
- Crunch Blanked by Senators, 3-0
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Mathieu Joseph from Syracuse Crunch