Sward Invited to Hockey Canada Under-17 Camp
Spokane Chiefs prospect Graham Sward has been invited to Hockey Canada's national under-17 development camp, as announced by Hockey Canada on Tuesday. The camp will take place July 19-26.
Sward, who was the Chiefs' first-round pick (17th overall) in the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft, is one of 112 players (36 defensemen) invited to the camp. Those players will be split into six teams for on- and off-ice training, fitness testing, intrasquad games and classroom studies. On-ice sessions will take place at the Markin MacPhail Centre at WinSport's Canada Olympic Park in Calgary.
"The national under-17 development camp is the first step these athletes take in their Team Canada career," said Shawn Bullock, director of men's national teams. "Ultimately, these players will learn what it takes to wear the Maple Leaf in international competition. We are here to support their development by providing the on- and off-ice experiences they need to achieve the dream of representing their country."
Sward, a defenseman from Abbotford, B.C., was named a BCMML All-Star for the 2018-19 season after posting seven goals and 19 assists for 26 points in 32 games with the Fraser Valley Thunderbirds. He added five points (1G-4A) in six playoff games. Sward also scored a goal in his first ever WHL game on January 5 at Kootenay.
The field of 112 will be narrowed to 66 to compete in the 2019 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, Nov. 2-9 in Medicine Hat, Alta. and Swift Current, Sask.
Ticket packages for the 2019-20 season are on sale now and start as low as $80! Learn more at spokanechiefs.com or at the Chiefs' Ticket Office at Spokane Arena during regular business office hours, in-person or over the phone at 509-535-PUCK.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from June 25, 2019
- Zaytsev Remains Undecided About Returning to Rebels; Welcome Mat Still Out - Red Deer Rebels
- Hockey Canada invites Trevor Wong to National Under-17 Development Camp - Kelowna Rockets
- Hockey Canada Names 25 WHL Players to National Under-17 Development Camp - WHL
- Royals' Nolan Bentham Named to Hockey Canada's Under-17 Summer Development Camp - Victoria Royals
- Four Americans Players Attending NHL Development Camps - Tri-City Americans
- Three Cougars' Prospects Invited to Hockey Canada's National Under-17 Development Camp - Prince George Cougars
- Allan, Laventure Invited to Hockey Canada's National Under-17 Development Camp - Prince Albert Raiders
- Royals Acquire River Fahey from Ice - Victoria Royals
- Sward Invited to Hockey Canada Under-17 Camp - Spokane Chiefs
- Zack Ostapchuk, Drew Sim Named to Canada's U-17 Summer Development Camp - Vancouver Giants
- Seven Oil Kings Set to Attend NHL Development Camps - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Hitmen to Pick 37th Overall in 2019 CHL Import Draft - Calgary Hitmen
- Kelowna Rockets Foote Signs with Tampa - Kelowna Rockets
- Pats Acquire Overage Forward Dawson Holt from Vancouver - Regina Pats
- Oil Kings Announce Roster Change - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Giants Acquire '01 Forward Sergei Alkhimov from Regina in Exchange for Dawson Holt - Vancouver Giants
- Blazers Sign Defenseman Mats Lindgren - Kamloops Blazers
- Kindopp to Skate in Colorado Avalanche Development Camp, Christiansen in St. Louis Blues Development Camp - Everett Silvertips
- Eight Winterhawks Attending NHL Development Camps - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Spokane Chiefs Stories
- Chiefs Select Defenseman David Jiricek in CHL Import Draft
- Prospect Ben Thornton Invited to Hockey Canada U-17 Camp
- Beckman and Finley Invited to Canadian National Junior Team Summer Development Camp
- Sward Invited to National Men's Summer Under-18 Team Selection Camp
- Lukas Parik Invited to Czech Republic Under-20 Summer Camp