Suns Split Saturday Doubleheader with Carolina
Jacksonville, Fla. - The Jacksonville Suns (48-42, 13-7) split a Saturday doubleh eader with the Carolina Mudcats (44-45, 7-13), dropping a 2-0 final in game one before rebounding for a 1-0 victory in game two in front of 4,282 at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville.
Carolina starter Matt Klinker (3-0) picked up the win in game one, dealing six shutout innings while allowing only one hit. The right-hander allowed three walks with eight strikeouts. Suns starter Cristhian Martinez (7-3) fell in defeat, charged with two runs and eight hits over six innings. Logan Ondrusek (4) saved the game for the Mudcats with a perfect seventh inning.
The Mudcats opened the scoring in the fourth inning when Stephen Chapman lofted a single into left-centerfield with two out to drive in Todd Frazier for a 1-0 score. In the fifth inning, Juan Francisco's two-out single drove in Jose Castro for a 2-0 score.
Jacksonville's lone hit of the game came on a second inning single from Kevin Randel.
In game two, Suns starter Brad Stone (2-1) picked up the win, dealing five shutout innings with only two hits. Mudcats starter Tom Cochran (1-3) fell in a tough-luck loss, allowing an unearned run and one hit over five innings while striking out nine. Suns closer Matt Peterson (19) saved the game, after working out of a first and third no out jam in the ninth inning.
Jacksonville's lone run came in the third inning. Chris Hatcher reached on a third strike wild pitch to leadoff the inning. Pitcher Brad Stone sacrificed Hatcher to second base. Following a Lorenzo Scott strikeout, Chris de la Cruz lined a ball to right field that got through Carolina right fielder Carson Kainer to allow Hatcher to score for a 1-0 lead.
The Suns return from the Southern League All-Star Break Wednesday July 15 against the Tennessee Smokies in a 7:05 p.m. first pitch at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. Tickets are available through the Suns box office at (904) 358-2846 or by visiting jaxsuns.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 11, 2009
- BayBears Lose in 9th in West Tenn Finale - Mobile BayBears
- Jaxx back to winning ways with walk-off win over Mobile - Jackson Generals
- Biscuits Take Break After Tough One, 8-2 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Suns Split Saturday Doubleheader with Carolina - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Lookouts Thump Stars, 7-3 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Stars Fall in Last Game Before the Break - Huntsville Stars
- Tyler Flowers, Desmond Jennings to Sign Autographs Prior to All-Star Game - Birmingham Barons
- Chen delivers strong seven-inning performance, offense puts up 12 hits in 8-2 win - Tennessee Smokies
- Jacksonville beats Carolina - Carolina Mudcats
- Jordan Danks Added to Home Run Derby - Birmingham Barons
- Carolina wins over Jacksonville - Carolina Mudcats
- Klinker Leads Carolina to Win - Carolina Mudcats
- Diamond added to All-Star roster - Mississippi Braves
- Jaxx roster moves for July 11 - Jackson Generals
- Southern League announces revised North Division starting lineup - SL
- Meet Raymond at a Biscuits Game - Montgomery Biscuits
- Biscuits transactions for July 11 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Suns transactions for July 11 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Stories
- Photos with Santa, Craft Stockings & Christmas Classics Highlight Very Shrimpy Christmas
- Jumbo Shrimp Introduce Specialty License Tag, Bobblehead Specials for Anniversary Celebration
- Jumbo Shrimp's October 31 Fall Festival Features Trick-Or-Treating, Contests
- Former Jacksonville Infielder Soto Makes MLB Debut
- Great Prizes, Food Pre-Order Deals Highlight September 26 Bingo Night