Sundogs Fall 3-2 in Overtime off Bad Bounce
PRESCOTT VALLEY, AZ - An accidental bounce off the referee kept the puck inside the blue line and allowed the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees one more chance, which they buried for a 3-2 overtime win on Tuesday night over the Arizona Sundogs at Tim's Toyota Center.
Nicholas Rioux scored the game-winner from the center of the blueline with 1:07 left.
The Sundogs (9-16-6) forced the extra frame as Tyler Butler picked up a loose puck after exiting the penalty box and scored from the right circle with 5:56 left in regulation.
The Bees (14-12-4) jumped out to a 2-0 lead with late first period goals three minutes apart. Aaron Lee scored his 15th of the season with 6:58 to play and Tomas Klempa extended his point streak to five games after burying a rebound in front of the net.
Tyler Matheson cut into the Bees lead with his third of the season after driving the net through the left circle midway through period two.
Wylie Rogers earned the win with 43 saves while Arizona's Mike Spillane took the loss stopping 30.
Arizona finished 0-for-7 on the power play. Rio Grande Valley went 0-for-5.
The Sundogs continue their season-long home stand on Friday when they welcome the Texas Brahmas to town for a weekend set. Game time is scheduled for 7:05 PM MST.
The Arizona Sundogs are the Central Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Phoenix Coyotes. Their sixth season is brought to you by Cliff Castle Casino-Hotel and the team will also host the 2012 CHL All-Star Game in January. Season tickets, mini-plan, and single-game ticket information is now available by calling (928) 759-6600 or visiting arizonasundogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2012
- Sundogs Fall 3-2 in Overtime off Bad Bounce - Arizona Sundogs
- Rioux Scores in OT, Bees Win 3-2 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Thanks for Supporting a Big Blaze Win - Bloomington Blaze
- Mallards Fall in Evansville 5-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Blaze Bounce Back with Win Over CHL Leader - Bloomington Blaze
- Annual Police Vs Fire Hockey Game February 11th - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Trade for Defenseman Tristin Llewellyn - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards' Brown Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - Quad City Mallards
- Quad City's David Brown Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - CHL
- McKee to Return to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Erickson Called up to Oklahoma City - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.