Rioux Scores in OT, Bees Win 3-2
PRESCOTT VALLEY, Ariz.- Nicolas Rioux scored in overtime as the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees (14-12-4) defeated the Arizona Sundogs (9-16-6) by a 3-2 final on Tuesday night. The Bees win was their third in a row over Arizona. The Bees have won four of five games. Wylie Rogers made a season high 43 saves in net.
Aaron Lee scored his 16th goal of the season to give the Bees a 1-0 lead at the 13:02 mark of the first period. Lee brought in the puck into the Arizona zone and after splitting the defense poked the puck in the five-hole of Arizona goalie Mike Spillane.
Minutes later Tomas Klempa scored his fourth goal in his last five games after taking a loose puck in front and backhanding it past Spillane. Dan Gendur and Brandon Campos picked up the assists on the Bees second goal.
Wylie Rogers was perfect in the first period in his third straight start making 14 saves on 14 shots.
Arizona got a goal back in the second period as Tyler Matheson deked around Wylie Rogers after faking a shot while the two teams were four-on-four.
Tyler Butler tied the game at two late in the third period after picking up as pass on his way out of the penalty box. Despite the Bees best back checking efforts Butler ripped a shot to the back of the net.
The two teams would advance to overtime where the Bees would pick up their third straight victory over Arizona. Nicolas Rioux picked up the puck from the point and slapped it to the back of the net courtesy of a screen from Aaron Lee in front.
The victory was the Bees second overtime victory of the season. In games decided in overtime the Bees are 2-0.
The Killer Bees are back in action this Friday night as they make their first ever trip to Rapid City, S.D. to face the Rush. Puck drops at 8:05 p.m. both Friday and Saturday night.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2012
- Sundogs Fall 3-2 in Overtime off Bad Bounce - Arizona Sundogs
- Rioux Scores in OT, Bees Win 3-2 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Thanks for Supporting a Big Blaze Win - Bloomington Blaze
- Mallards Fall in Evansville 5-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Blaze Bounce Back with Win Over CHL Leader - Bloomington Blaze
- Annual Police Vs Fire Hockey Game February 11th - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Trade for Defenseman Tristin Llewellyn - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards' Brown Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - Quad City Mallards
- Quad City's David Brown Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - CHL
- McKee to Return to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Erickson Called up to Oklahoma City - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.